Green Terror Mating? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

collinb03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help! I have two green terrors (one male, one female) and I want them to mate, but it seems to me like they are just fighting? They are lip locking a lot, but I also know that means they are courting. The male has been shaking as well. They are about 6inches each. I just got the male today so I don't know if they are mating or if they are fighting for dominance in the tank. It's a 40 gal breeder tank and they are the only two in there. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know about their breeding habits but lip locking is usually a sign of territory issue. Are you positive it's a M/F?

Caleb

A 40 breeder is far too small for a pair of green terrors. I'd think it's more than likely a territory issue

With two green terrors I would consider at least a 55. Lip locking, increased aggression and shaking are all good signs of possible breeding, but they also could be trying to show dominance/strength the same way considering you just got the male. They will most likely beat each other up quite a bit. Let them continue but monitor the health of both fish. As one may kill the other if it becomes too serious and they may need separated

I have the same situation but can't put them in a bigger tank because of room situation

If you would like to see the two of them, here they are. Let me know what you guys think. The male already had the chunk taken out of his dorsal fin when I got him
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437812177.316724.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437812204.413494.jpg

Top fin damage on the 2nd pic but they look nice.

Back
Top Bottom