Green Tiger Barbs and Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I made a rookie move today and bought some fish without researching them first. I got 3 Green Tiger Barbs to add to my peaceful 29 Gallon community tank. I have Zebra Danios, White Clouds, and Julii Corys. But I also have some Red Cherry and Amano Shrimp. The guy at the LFS said I'd be fine, but I already saw one of them eat a baby Red Cherry and start harassing some of the smaller adult males. Has anyone ever successfully kept Tiger Barbs with Cherry shrimp? Or are they doomed?

ps - I know that I should eventually have at least 5 Tiger Barbs in a school.

Unless they have a lot of places to hide they are doomed. Tiger barbs are very nippy toward most things unless their school is pretty big. Personally in that size tank with the fish you already have I'd return the tiger barbs and go with a different option.

I agree with the above post, take the barbs back.

Green tiger barbs are one of my favorite fish, this is from my own experience.

I have 1 male , 5 females.

They started in a 29 gal when they were babies. When they reached the size of a quarter, they just stayed huddled together in the corner, never swimming in the open tank.

I moved them to my 55 gal. and they are very happy, swimming everywhere. They are the size of a dollar coin now. Mine do not bother anyone else and show no signs of aggression. They are with a golden gourami, swordtails, malabar puffer, cories and golden dojos.

However, I have heard from other people on this site, their tiger barbs are very aggressive.

And yes, they will eat your shrimp and love you for a delicious treat.

Unless they have a lot of places to hide they are doomed. Tiger barbs are very nippy toward most things unless their school is pretty big. Personally in that size tank with the fish you already have I'd return the tiger barbs and go with a different option.

Hmm... So far they are ignoring everyone else except the RCS. I have plants, rocks, and a lot of Java Moss and they can hide pretty effectively, so we'll see. To be honest, I'm kind of over the fascination with shrimp and am more interested in getting colorful fish anyway. So I might just see what happens. I only have about 8 or 9 RCS currently.

On another interesting note, and I have to assume it is my light, my green tiger barbs are blue most of the time.

And they are pigs, I never seen fish eat so quick.

On another interesting note, and I have to assume it is my light, my green tiger barbs are blue most of the time.

And they are pigs, I never seen fish eat so quick.

Same with me. Mostly blue, but they are green when they turn at a certain angle. Haha... yes, they snap up the sinking pellets really fast. I have to dump a ton in so that some reach my Corys. I really like them, I don't think I'll be able to give them up, even if they are bullies. I haven't seen any RCS today, and I saw one of the green tigers chewing a lot with two antennae sticking out of it's mouth. So I think the deed is done. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom