Green tint to water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chev13696

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed my water on my 125 gallon has a slight green tint to it. I checked the water today and all the parameters are fine the ph is 7.6 ammonia was 0, nitrites were at 0 and nitrates were 10-20 ppm. I do have drift wood in the tank I boiled the larger piece for two hours and then soaked it for 2 weeks. One smaller piece I boiled for 2 hours then put in the tank. Could it still be seeping tannins??? It was in the tank for a few weeks now but just now seen the tint to the water.

Tank in the sun any? How long do you keep ur lights on? Could very well be an algae bloom in my opinion.

Tank in the sun any? How long do you keep ur lights on? Could very well be an algae bloom in my opinion.

No sun and I have the lights on for around 6 hours sometimes a little longer sometimes a little less. If it is an algae bloom what would I do. I do have a pleco in the tank along with 4 red tailed tinfoil barbs.

If it was the wood it would be a yellow or brown tint. I think it is algae. Just do a couple water changes over the next few days and vacuum the sand good, rinse the filter media out with tank water and see if that gets rid of it.

If it was the wood it would be a yellow or brown tint. I think it is algae. Just do a couple water changes over the next few days and vacuum the sand good, rinse the filter media out with tank water and see if that gets rid of it.

Try this first. If that doesn't help then u can always buy a uv sterilizer to kill the algae spores.

Try this first. If that doesn't help then u can always buy a uv sterilizer to kill the algae spores.

I have no experience with uv sterilizers I have a general knowledge of what they do but what do I need or go about hooking one up to the tank. I have 2 HOB filters along with a Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400 Pump.

I have no experience with uv sterilizers I have a general knowledge of what they do but what do I need or go about hooking one up to the tank. I have 2 HOB filters along with a Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400 Pump.

It really depends on what style or brand you get. They usually are very simple to hook up and run.

Do not use chemical algae stuff when there is a pleco, but I'm sure you know better.

I boiled the crap out of my driftwood and it still made the water brownish. Ended up taking it out.

Do not use chemical algae stuff when there is a pleco, but I'm sure you know better.

I boiled the crap out of my driftwood and it still made the water brownish. Ended up taking it out.

Yeah I will not use chemicals

Iv heard people using it for a 125. Still works great from what they say

Excess light, especially direct sunlight
Too many fish
Excess nutrients
Excess wastes
Low oxygen levels

Get a UV sterilizer and your water will be clear and clean within a couple weeks. What are your phosphate levels?

Back
Top Bottom