Green-water :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KurtR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an 110 G tank, and we changed about 50% of the water a few weeks ago, and ever since then we have been suffering from green water in your tank. This is the first time we had so much algae to this degree.

Our tank has 4 koi's and 1 plecos.

\
Is there anything that can be done, to help prevent/stop this blasphemy (greenwater) ???

My bet is that your nitrates are high. Do you have a nitrate test kit to confirm this?

Your have excess phosphates in your water. The green water is suspended algae. How often do you perform water changes? Step up the schedule to at least once a week until you get the algae under control. Perform an entire test panel (Ammonai, nitrite, Nitrate) and post your results. If you can, also perform a phosphate test.

Or get a UV sterilizer and run it for 3-5days. Worked for me, and haven't needed to use the UV since.

I'll bring a sample of my water to my local Aquarium Store (they do free testing) :) and see what my levels are. I've been doing a 25% water change once a week. I've even been using a power jet nozzle then the spray bar, so that there could be more disturbance at the water.

Make sure they use a liquid reagent test kit and get the exact numbers. If they use the strip tests, it's a waste of time. Don't settle for "it's fine." Get definite numbers.

Here I go again with the questions --- But..... What's wrong with stuff like "Algae Destroyer" or "Algae Control" --- Is it harmful? :confused:

Well, I don`t have the answer to that. But I used Algaecide in the aquarium, and the bottle, said that it can cause cancer in humans.

I used some in my fish tank, it didnt really work that much, but I did notice, that fishes seemed more lazy and less responsive as before.

Here I go again with the questions --- But..... What's wrong with stuff like "Algae Destroyer" or "Algae Control" --- Is it harmful? :confused:

Those don't fix the root problem to why the algae is blooming. Those chemicals are also stressful on the fish in the tank. When I worked at the LFS, I tried some, just to see. It was the "algae destroyer" brand, and it had no effect on the algae.

You could also add some plants, to help take in the excess nutrients that are obviously present in your water.

or

You can do a hefty (75%) wc (to reduce amount of algae), 4-5 day blackout (to kill what's left), then 50-75% wc to clear up the dead algae.

Thanks.

I had artificial plants, in the smaller tank, when the Koi were really small, but they always were pulling it out.

Do you know what type of plants, i should invest in ?

With the koi, it's gonna be tough to find plants that they won't eat.

Your best bets are faster-growing stem plants, such as wisteria, water sprite, ludwigia, other hygrophila species.

Did, a 75% water change today. There is a great difference in the water now. I added a filter from the smaller 38G fish tank and put it on the 110G. There's almost a tidal wave effect now, since the power head and the power jet nozzle are on the left side, and then hang-over filter, is on the right side. I now plan to have a "black-out" for about a week.

Attachments

• DSC01452--.jpg
    DSC01452--.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01451--.jpg
    DSC01451--.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC014561.jpg
    DSC014561.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 63
That cloud, in your pictures, appears to be white, not green. Can you confirm? Completely different story if it's white and not green

Well, before the water change, it was green. But with the water change it is kind of white. Could it be a bacteria bloom, now ?

Could be, but do you know for sure if it is white or green?

The blackout will be a temporary fix if it is suspended algae. Unless you find the root of the problem, the green water will come back. Have you had the water tested?

this ? was already posted a while ago like i said before we had the same problem happen. what kind of filter do you have? we had perfect water but what happen we kick up a bunch of crap when the sand was cleaned so yuo can us a UV lite wich will cost you a bit of money or you can use algae destroyer advanced it works great costs about less then 5 dollars. just make sure you have no to low phosphate and nitrate. algae destroyer works great.

Its Green. I got a white cup, and took some water out of the tank, and there was a tint of green in it. No, i haven't got the water tested, i doubt i can reach the LFS anytime soon. Maybe, I'll just buy my own test kit.

it is a very good idea to get your own test kits if you want to know what your tank is really doing. i would clean your filters and change some water and buy some algae destroyer it will do the job for you

Back
Top Bottom