Green water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A few weeks ago my water was always green. After 50% WC it was ok for a day then green again.
I decided to do a full clean (bleach gravel, clean glass etc). It was great for a week but now the water is green again. Also I am getting some slime in the filters :(
Any ideas what my problem could be?

What size tank? Stock? Water change schedule? Filter type? Water parameters? Lighting schedule? Planted or not? Sorry to throw so many questions at you but we need to know more before we can make suggestions.

A few weeks ago my water was always green. After 50% WC it was ok for a day then green again.
I decided to do a full clean (bleach gravel, clean glass etc). It was great for a week but now the water is green again. Also I am getting some slime in the filters :(
Any ideas what my problem could be?
Usually, it's too much light coupled with too many nutrients. Try cutting back on the light hours and reduce feeding amount ( or increase filtration & cleaning schedule).

Hope this helps (y)

My tank is 160 lts (42 Gallons) with AC 20 and AC 50 filters, Small air pump, 2 fake plants, 1 drift wood, lighting 10000k 20w super light and 20000k 20w coral blue light.
I very rarely put the light on to be honest.
200w heater set at 25 degrees C
Ph, 7.5, Ammonia 0, No2 0, No3 about 30
50% WC once a week
Stocking:
1 bristle nose albino pleco
2 rapheal catfish
2 hillstream loach
1 snail
3 mollies
4 guppies
10 neon tetras
5 rainbow tetras
1 dont know that it is!

Lowering your Nitrates through water changes will help take away some of the food for the algae but typically you have too much light if you are getting green water. If you black the tank out for a week or two it will get rid of it but it will just come back if you don't lower the light levels.

Lowering your Nitrates through water changes will help take away some of the food for the algae but typically you have too much light if you are getting green water. If you black the tank out for a week or two it will get rid of it but it will just come back if you don't lower the light levels.

+1
Re. my other post: The nitrates are the nutrients, the sunlight is the light. You should find a way to shade the tank from the outside light and lower the nitrates and you should be good to go! :)
(y)

Back
Top Bottom