Green water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luma21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 60 gallon tank with two 54 watt lights. They are high outputs. Ever since I bought them I've had green water twice. At first I had them on for about 11 hours a day and got green water and realized that was way too long. So I covered my tank and had the lights off for four days and did a huge water change.

I turned the timer down to eight hours and about a week ago and the green water came back. So I did the process over again and turned it down to six hours today. I don't want this to keep happening does anyone have any solution to it?

I have 3 Angels, 4 glow light tetras, 1 guppy and 3 bristle nose plecos so I'm obviously not overstocked. Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia at 0. I do 20 gallon water changes every week. And I definitely don't overfeed them.
Anyone have any solutions? I don't want to have to replace my lights cause they are brand new, and I don't want to have to go below 6 hours a day

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try a split photo period, 3 on,3 off, 3 on. Or spring for a uv sterilizer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is a UV sterilizer? And what does it do?

Any idea on some good brands? Looking to spend no more than $100 on one.

Try a split photo period, 3 on,3 off, 3 on. Or spring for a uv sterilizer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Blackout and do this. 3 on 3 off 3 on will not harm plants and it will help the algae problem. UV sterilizer should be your last resort. Sounds like your culprit in both cases was your photo period was too long.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm gonna try the 3 on 3 off 3 on and see how that goes. I also bought a UV sterilizer so I will see what happens.

SHIELDS UP! I use a diatom filter for that. Are they costly? Yes. But they will clear a tank in less than 2 hours. I also use it for ICH infestations and just to polish the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the only one they had there that was submersible was about $150 which is what I wanted. But the other ones that are more meant for canister filters were a whole price range from $70-200. It has to do with attaching it to the hoses. Unfortunately I don't have a canister filter because my cabinet is so small.
If I wanted to switch over to a canister one day with my 60 gallon would there be any possibilities or ideas?
Tank dimensions- 48x12x24 inches which means the inside of the cabinet is a bit smaller

Oh oops, I thought you were asking me if the UV sterilizers were costly haha. My bad

Back
Top Bottom