Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

depdiver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 Gallon tank that has green water. My Pleco seems to keep the algae off all the plants and ornaments, but my water is so green I can't see through it. pH is 7.0, Nitrites and Nitrates are 0 Amonia is 0. I have a flourestent hood that is on from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm. My LFS recommended algae killer. I tried it, it worked for few days then the tank went green again. I have no live plants. I use RO water from my local grocery store machine. Any suggestions?

chemicals are bad..
do a search here on the forum for "green water" and click the button that includes all words in your search just below it.. natural treatment for green water has been discussed..
this is likely from overfeeding.. too much PO4.

Do you use just RO water in your tank?

Many aquarium/pond shops now carry barley straw pellets, which can be very affective in removing green water problems, but don't use chemical algicides anymore...they are quite hard on your fish.

I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago. Someone suggested that if your phosphate is too high then algae will thrive. if its low then it will die off. There is this stuff i bought called phosgaurd. it works really well. and when you use it you have to do major water changes and it will get your water clea. also cut down the time you have the light on in the tank. The cheapest way ti kill the algae is keep the light off for like 5 days and cover the tank with a blanket so no light get in. then do a water change ever other day. that helps too.

Also, buy some live plants, maybe a bunch of anachris, it will abosrb all the excess nutrients so the algae can't live. Also, try only feeding small amount every other day or every 3rd day till it clears up (fish can go like 5 days without food)

HTH>

Back
Top Bottom