Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bixter1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my 120gal goldfish tank is all cycled and my ammonia no2 and no3 are all 0. My water is a s green as it gets. I've been doing about 60-90gal water changes. Even after the 90gal change the water is still green. I don't have a phosphate or silica test kit. Im thinking of getting a UV or using my ozone from my reef tank (not used anymore). Any ideas of what might be going on and/or how to remedy it?

first of all if you NO3 is at 0 you arn't cycled yet. You need to have readings of ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate +0-20 in order to be "cycled" how long has the tank been up and running, and do you have fish in there? If not do you have an ammonia source.

As far as the green water goes. How long are you leaving the lights on. Being that its a new tank with green water, I would assume that the lights are being left on too long. There are no plants in there to uptake the nutrients, thus algea is thriving. You are going to need to starve the algea of the nutrients, including lights, until it dies. Also, check your phosphates both in your tank and in your tap water. If you have excess phosphates in your tap water, and you don't plan on going with a live planted tank, you may need to switch to RO water. This isn't going to be an easy task with the size of the tank.

Let us know what you find out about phosphates and the lighting conditions and maybe we can assist you further.

-Jake

Back
Top Bottom