Green Wenditti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently put some Green Wendtii in my 46 bow. In a few weeks the green leaves died off and new brown ones are growing up to take their place. I did a big WC, increased the light, and cleaned the canister filter. I think my tank conditions weren't all that healthy, but I'm wondering if there is any particular parameter that makes the Wendtii produce brown leaves instead of green ones. When I got the Wendtii, I put some of it in a different tank and there it has remained green and vibrant.

do you have pics?

what lights, ferts, and co2 are in each tank?

not to thread jack, but what fish is that in ur avatar?

I'm not at home so can't post any pics right now. For lights, I have 80W T-12 (48") + 20W T8. Figuring light is a significant part of the problem, I have a 36" 96W Current T5 HO light on order. I'm using fertilizer pills from aquariumplants.com, dosing with Excel every other day, and dosing with Flourish 2x/wk in all the tanks. I'm not measuring any params besides Ph because I've been so discouraged with inaccurate test kits from LFS and mail order places, it just seems pointless.

BTW, the fish is a Giant Danio. This is a parent. I raised up 50 fry to 1.25" in the same 46 bow tank, and now have a batch of zebra fry coming along in there.

Are you certain it was actually Green Wendtii? Both the red and green Wendtii will grow green with large round leaves when grown emersed, quite often this is how you find it in the pet store because its easier to mass produce this way.

When grown submersed, new leaves will grown long, narrow, rippled, low to the ground and brown (if using the red variant, otherwise they may be reddish as they are new but turn green quickly, many green plants do this)

The leaves dieing off is known as crypt rot or crypt melt and is completely normal when the plant is moved, the plant will not die.

emersed red wendtii (left)
img_837124_0_6fb690f5eb26e7f30572cec94bb10c2c.jpg

submersed red wendtii
img_837124_1_1d7f8bc1fd2335f316c0df25fee203b0.jpg

It was sold to me by aquariumplants.com as green Wendtii. Hopefully they knew what they were selling. I'm not qualified to tell the difference.

Well if you can get me a picture I could probably tell you, I have been raising wendtii for some time and seem to have had quite a bit of luck with it.

C. wendtii is incredibly variable in growth form depending on your tank conditions. I've found that light levels in the tank play a large part in its leaf coloration. I have several C. wendtii "Green Gecko" plants in my large planted tank with leaves ranging from bright green (in lower light areas) to dark green/brown (under high light). If your plant appears to be healthy you might try moving it to a more shaded part of the tank if you've got one. This may spur it into putting out lighter, greener foliage.

Alshain said:
Well if you can get me a picture I could probably tell you, I have been raising wendtii for some time and seem to have had quite a bit of luck with it.

I finally got the pics. They are the same kind of plant sold in the same battch and looked exactly the same when I got them. they morphed to look different due to the differing tank conditions.

Attachments

• green_wendtii_-_brown_163.jpg
    green_wendtii_-_brown_163.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 52
  • green_wendtii_-_green_148.jpg
    green_wendtii_-_green_148.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 51
Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a Wendtii in the color of that bottom pic. It may be the camera but my red wendtii grows in a more of a rust color while your green wendtii is almost burgandy.

The bottom one is definitely more what you would expect in terms of growth pattern. Rippled leaves and low to the ground. The top one may be the cause of lower light, that is also how it looks if grown emersed.

There is nothing wrong with either of these growth patterns however, the plant itself is very versatile and looks to be in good health in both cases. I have seen both crypts and swords grow their leaves red and then turn green as they get older, this may be the case with yours.

EDIT: While I've never grown the green variant, after looking around a bit it would seem the burgundy color is actually somewhat normal. Here is a very nice picture.

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_cwgreen.php

Back
Top Bottom