Greenhump/emerald catfish, green/emerald cory? Difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotanProject

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I was looking through my Encylopedia of Aquarium and Pond fish by David Alderton. I noticed that there's three species that look really similar. Greenhump catfish, emerald catfish, and green corydoras. Also at my LFS they have it called emerald green corydora. Whats the difference? I really can't tell.

I recently bought supposedly emerald green corydoras from PETCO. Three of them hang out with each other all the time. But one of them is always alone. I'm starting to suspect that its a different species! Okay so if anyone here knows or have any info on this please reply. Thanks in advance.

Gotan

Other than major coloration differences, it's very hard to tell similar species apart. Even PlanetCatfish's information is sketchy. Most of the descriptions are generic, and you have to use the pictures to tell what species you have - and are we REALLY sure that those pictures are accurate?

Many of the local fish stores here are carrying what they call "punctatus" cories, but in reality they are either ambiacus or delphax according to PlanetCatfish. And again, that's just if the pictures are correct.

IMO, most suppliers that sell to the LFS aren't very careful with their classifcations, and the LFS will call it whatever the supplier calls it.

In your case, if the coloration and size is at all similar, then the catfish won't really care what species they are. They don't have a secret handshake, they just look for someone who looks like them.

Back
Top Bottom