Greetings from Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bent Needle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, all! :) The new member PM I received asked for a posting in this forum section, so here I am.

I live in the lovely Roanoke Valley area of Virginia, USA. I am brand new to fish and aquarium keeping, though not to pets. As odd as it may sound, after my beloved golden retriever of 12 years passed away this summer, I greatly missed having something to take care of but was not (and am not) ready for another canine friend. For one thing, my job doesn't allow me to invest the amount of time necessary in training and integrating a new dog, and for another it just feels like a betrayal of my old friend.

So, I read up on aquariums for a couple months. I have fond and admiring memories of the parents of a childhood friend who had a HUGE (at least in memory) fish tank containing what I now think were probably cichlids and plecos, and of staring into their tank for hours in fascination. While I think cichlids are a bit above my beginner capabilities, I thought fish would be a nice addition to my little place. I'm working on a 20g long planted tank. Only two platies (is it platys, or platies?) and a couple plants so far but slow and sure is better, to my way of thinking.

I've already learned a lot by reading these forums and so many of the folks here seem nice, helpful, and talented. I look forward to participating in more discussions and hopefully growing in my own knowledge! :wave:

Thank you both!

Phishfriend, that's a gorgeous fish in your avatar. What is it? :fish2:

I'm loving all the emoticons on here. Haha!

Bent Needle said:
Thank you both!

Phishfriend, that's a gorgeous fish in your avatar. What is it? :fish2:

I'm loving all the emoticons on here. Haha!

It's a german ram! That guy isn't mine. But I will find or breed one just as! Lol

Welcome! I m a newbie too (since Dec). So thankful for this site, have been helped tremendously by all the info & caring people here. Love my tank & hope you post pics soon :)

Back
Top Bottom