greg watsons dry ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thebluyak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright im finally about to order my ferts and I was wondering can I get the Pre mix and just dose all of it at once? Also does the "pre mix" mean that its all mixed into 1lb or a certain number of ounces for each fert in individual containers? the pre mix consists of

PMDD Pre-Mix is now available in 1 lb quantities, email for details. Contains 1 part Potassium Nitrate, 1 part Potassium Sulfate, 1 part Magnesium Sulfate, 1 part Plantex CSM+B

This is a low-high light tank meaning around 3.4 wpg with DIY co2

I believe the premix is a 1 lbs bag with everything already mixed in it to the specified proportions. With this in mind, you may want to consider not buying the premix and just buying the individual compounds. For example, I have very hard water and don't need to dose magnesium so I just dose everything seperately. Another case would be if you have a lot of nitrate in your tank (due to high bioload) but no potassium or some such. You then can't just dose the premix because you'll not only add potassium but also more nitrate. Also, the premix doesn't have phosphate in it (that is a good thing) so you'll have to dose that seperately anyway.

In the end, I'd rather have the ability to specify my dosing level for each nutrient versus having the convience of only have one thing to dose. I hope that make sense.

A lot of folks recommend dosing macros and micros separately as things can get a little out of hand. I agree with Tong on that note, get the KNO3 macro mix, then the CSM+B and if you really need it, the other micros.

Actually if you want to just add Potassium get the potasium sulfate. I would get some KNO3 as well though. After adding K you may find your nitrate uptake going up. So why pay two shipping charges?

I agree with Rich...get the KNO3 (you never know when you might need it), along with the Potassium Sulfate. This way you can be prepared. The cost is too good to pass up.

good deal then, now ill use chucks calc to figure out dosing amounts. Didnt someone mention getting some kind of container to use for dosing like the 4ounce bottles of the measuring cups? Are they worth getting or can I do without? So the KNO3 and Potasulf is the only thing chem wise I should order? This isnt a high tech planted tank just a medium planted with a few diff plants. Im looking for a grass like plant like travis has in his mbuna tank. I cant remember the name and I havnt seen any around here lately. Maybe if anyone knows the name off the top of their head.

thanks
Ryan

You can get those cheap plastic "Chug" bottles, the small ones are exactly 250ml, which is a perfect fit for Greg's calc. You will also need a doser...Purrbox recommended a child's medicine dropper, which I found at the drugstore for .99 cents. You need metric measuring spoon(s), or you can use your normal spoons. Left out of the recommendation is the word "level" in conjunction with "spoon".

I can't recall the plant he is using for his carpet.

Back
Top Bottom