gremlins, not guppies!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have 5 guppies in a ten gallon
I have a question since this is my first time with guppies; how often do I feed them?
They eat a lot!!! They devour a pinch of nls pellets instantly:hide:
Is this normal? I have never seen such ravaneous fish!

Fishnova said:
I have a question since this is my first time with guppies; how often do I feed them?

Mine are like little piranhas when I put food in the tank. People say that their stomach is the size of their eyes. I feed mine three to five bloodworms or when they just let them fall to the bottom.

Feeding Fancy Guppies

Hello Fish...

Tropical fish always act like they're hungry, because in nature there's never as much food as there is at your place. I keep large, planted tanks of Fancy Guppies and feed a good amount twice daily, as much as the fish will eat in a couple of minutes. More than that, and it falls to the bottom of the tank. I feed a variety of flakes, dried tubifex worms, dried and frozen brine shrimp and a dry food called "Tetramin Crisps".

I also keep several species of Corydoras (the little cats) with my Guppies. They eat what the Guppies eat along with a couple kinds of algae wafers and shrimp pellets. Variety is the key!

Some fish keepers fast their fish one day a week. I don't simply because Guppies are extremely active and need a decent amount fed at least a couple of times a day. This fish is one of the "Livebearers", so I have fry in the tanks all the time. I keep all the fish together, so it's important to feed the adult fish well. I've learned over the years that well fed adult Guppies show little or no interest in the fry. Probably why I have so many .

B

Thanks for the advice starka and bbradbury!
I usually feed them a good amount and they eat it all! A few times a day, the biggest meal being breakfast

That is great, I do want to keep some baby guppies!

in my opinion, since it is only a 10g tank...do not allow many fry to stay in the tank because it will become overstocked FAST, 5 guppies are pretty active, my use all the space in my 60g tank, so monitoring your number of fish is key. Also, i think you should cut down to feeding your guppies 1x per day because then there will be less waste. other wise water changes will be needed every few days, even with a good filter

We had guppies for a while and they ate just as you described. It didn't matter what I put in the tank, they ate it. I felt like I was constantly over feeding, but I had to so the other fish in the tank could get some food.

I don't think guppies are good community fish simply because they will compete with ANYTHING for food.

I agree with rreekers about cutting back on feeding. They aren't going to starve. And they do reproduce quickly. If you have any females, even just one, your five will become 20-30 in no time.

I do a pwc every two days of 50%
I will try and not fall for their guppy eyes xP

Fishnova said:

Lol
My mom fell for those eyes and they were being fed three times as much. XD

My guppies have asked to post for them that they respectfully disagree with feeding one time a day. It takes a lot of good food to stay cute and therefore, they are starving. In fact, you should get off this site right now and go feed your guppies. End transmission.

Fishnova said:

its hard :) I'm the same way ... I changed my ways because my tank become so over stocked so quick it threw my tank into a mini recycle, 2 fished died because of my over feeding and over population... because when guppies are over fed, they are less interested in eating the fry (population control)

VioletEmber said:
My guppies have asked to post for them that they respectfully disagree with feeding one time a day. It takes a lot of good food to stay cute and therefore, they are starving. In fact, you should get off this site right now and go feed your guppies. End transmission.

Lol
All my pets would agree with that :p

Thanks guys, can I use my guppy fry to feed my betta?

Back
Top Bottom