Ground cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikezilla89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about redoing my entire 29 gallon tank, and what I want is some type of ground cover that could spread fairly fast and look good ( maybe something grass-like?). I'm going to be using a layer of laterite and sand for the top substrate. lighting is about 3w per gallon and I will be giving the tank co2 as well. Any ideas?
Ps, I don't want java moss

Hair grass seems like an awesome idea! any idea how well it'll do in sand?

it spreads faster in sand, because the roots have little resistance. I'm not sure about your lighting though. watts per gallon isn't really useful to determine lighting. 10wpg of the wrong color won't do you any good, and if you've got a 70watt metal halide on a 15 gallon tank you're at 3wpg, but you'll be tanning your fish. look here: PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Again Charts

There you can look up what kind of bulb(s) you have and what you're lighting will amount too. Any "ground cover" plants usually require med to high lighting, and co2 to really fill in. Dwarf baby tears are especially temperamental

edit: oh look!
img_1547289_0_94f9956240823cbeee96b6c2139a2980.jpg

Oooo Ty! That'll be helpful in the future, I think I'll post that up on the wall in our aquatic plant accessories section at the pet store I work at :D

We need to know more specifics. You said you're adding CO2. Will this be excel, DIY, or pressurized? 3 wpg: PC, CFL, T5HO, T8? Inquiring minds need to know.

Yeah, hes really good with plants, he has some sweet dw pieces for sale which im def thinking about getting

aqua_chem said:
We need to know more specifics. You said you're adding CO2. Will this be excel, DIY, or pressurized? 3 wpg: PC, CFL, T5HO, T8? Inquiring minds need to know.

DIY CO2, I just changed my lighting, got myself a solarmax t5 ho 230 fixture with one 10000k daylight bulb and a florasun 5000k bulb, both @ 24w each

Two jugs might get you great results in this case. Assuming you also have ferts, you have the conditions for many ground plants.

Might I recommend Glossostigma?

Back
Top Bottom