grow coralline algae quicker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
if i left my blue actinic lights on 24 hours would that make the algae grow faster and if i added a normal flourescent light shining on the tank would that help?

thanks,
joma.

I wouldn't try it. Gotta simulate a natural day for your fish and reef. You're also likely to grow other unwanted algaes too.

I wouldn't try it. Gotta simulate a natural day for your fish and reef. You're also likely to grow other unwanted algaes too.

im cycling fishless right now so i dont have any fish or corals to worry about. what are unwanted algaes i could get? jw

No it wont help. Make sure your alk, magnesium and calcium are in order.

I see you are cycling so they will be out of whack during the cycle. Worry about them after the cycle.

Hair algae. Cyanobacteria maybe. Patience is the key. After your cycle, when you add coral frags with red and purple coralline algae it'll spread to the other rocks.

ehh, i guess i will just turn them off when i head to bed and hey! austinsdad, i just noticed you are a fellow marylander!

JOMA said:
if i left my blue actinic lights on 24 hours would that make the algae grow faster and if i added a normal flourescent light shining on the tank would that help?

thanks,
joma.

The best thing that has worked for me is putting some LR that has good coraline growth on it in your filter so the water goes over it. This should release spores into the water! Also you can start using B-ionic, its full of calcium.

Even after you've introduced coralline from a piece of LR, it's going to take a few months in order for it to cover all of the rock, so it's best just to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom