Growing Amazon Sword in Tank HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeLani456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I am new when it comes to the fish aquairum world and i recently bought two amazon sword plants for my aquairum. I was wondering if i would be able to growing these plants in a non-cycled tank without a filter or heater. Would i need to get a light for the tank or would i be able to leave the tank in a place with sunlight in my house. Can I use regular tap water to grow these plants and what kind of substrate, if any, would i need?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. Greatly appreciated
Mike

Hello Everyone,

I am new when it comes to the fish aquairum world and i recently bought two amazon sword plants for my aquairum. I was wondering if i would be able to growing these plants in a non-cycled tank without a filter or heater. Would i need to get a light for the tank or would i be able to leave the tank in a place with sunlight in my house. Can I use regular tap water to grow these plants and what kind of substrate, if any, would i need?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. Greatly appreciated
Mike

Hi, generally I find an aquarium light for plants is best. That way you can set it between 6 to 9 hours. Sunlight and excess lighting I just find cause algae.

Gravel can work with root ferts tabs (although any planted tank substrate will beat it).

Dirt substrate, or monthly replacement of root tabs. Declor any water you put in the tank, no direct sunlight. (algae)

The setup is less than ideal. But they can survive. It will be a fish deathtrap, so if you don't intend to put fish into it, I say give it a try!

I had crypts survive in a non-filtered, no-light, no-heater (with dirt substrate) environment for several years. Growth was extremely slow. Water was stinky (somewhat) And without a light, wasn't something that I noticed much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom