Growing baby mollies question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boogety48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a few questions. I've never had babies before. They're about a month and a half old.
How long should I keep my baby dalmatian mollies in the breeder box? I figure as long as they aren't small enough to be eaten they'll be ok.
How old do they have to be before I can sex them? I know live bearers can start reproducing at 3 months.
Is there an easy way to sex them? I know guppies have gravid spots.
I probably have more questions but that's all I can think of right now.

I would keep them in a safe place until they are too big to be eaten. They can be sexed as soon as they are big enough to...erm... lift the skirts I believe. Males have a gnopodiumm (not spelled right) that looks like a stick. Females have a fan shaped anal fin. Both are located on the bottom directly behind the pectoral fins.

Thanks. When should I move them up to bigger food? I've been giving them powdered flakes.

once they can fit bigger food in there mouth they will happily take it. should see my 2 week old guys go for the blood worm

They haven't had a chance to try anything else yet. I tried to give them other things but they hide in plants I have in the breeder box. I ended up just scooping it back out.

Boogety48 said:
They haven't had a chance to try anything else yet. I tried to give them other things but they hide in plants I have in the breeder box. I ended up just scooping it back out.

It takes time for them to learn to come to the top for food. With mine in the beginning I drop a few sinking pellets in my nursery tank and they pick at that

So I had one baby left from my mollys but I have a guppy baby and two marigold variatus platy left. I thought my molly baby was big enough to survive in the tank so I released it, now I can't find it. :cry: I hope its just hiding really well but I don't know. I had to release it because it was getting bigger than the rest.

Back
Top Bottom