Growing Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any idea if these will grow coral? I know its not ideal by today's standards but I believe that 10-15 years ago people were growing coral with similar type lighting strength. Btw, I have a 10g nano tank and its 11-12" deep.

Zoo Med 10W Reef Sun 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamps

Zoo Med Reef Sun 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp

Those are compact fluorescents. They can probably grow the lowest light corals but I wouldn't attempt anything but softies.

If you could do 2 that would be better, 10 watts of cfls isn't much and growth will be super slow.

I have two in there already and in not worried about growth rate as long as I'm not killing them, ya know? Any good (and attractive) coral suggestions?

I doubt those lamps will grow anything. They will all look brown and ugly if they live. 15 years ago they used VH0 t12 lighting, which was a lot stronger than what you are considering.

Again, thoughts are splits and internet search says it enough lighting. I'm going to try a cheap coral that requires low lighting and see

I'd have to lean towards Mr. x on this one. lol You might be able to keep some mushrooms and maybe maybe some zooas....But you wont see any growth and it wont look pretty like in the store. lol You might be able to keep those alive but they wont thrive. You can get some pretty decent lighting for cheap these days so I would consider an upgrade if you can swing it. You can get a 4 bulb t5 for less than $100 and even a 2 bulb t5 would be better than what you have and can usually find those for maybe $65 or a bit less with some searching.

How would this be for growing corals?

BeamsWork Reef Bright LED Light Fixture 18"

Also I saw some Galaxea in my local petco that looked awesome....thoughts?

Fixture Size: 17.00" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 18
1300 Lumens
Super energy efficient 1 watt HQ LEDs
15x 10,000K LED
3x Actinic 460nm LED
Use 18 watts

Features:
Slim and contemporary light design
2x on/off function for day and night use
Extend up to 21" in length with bracket installed
Splash guard

I ordered this set of lighting for my 10g for $60. Good deal? Can I grow corals like Galaxea? Or Frogspawn?

I found this 10 LED 3W one for $60

Fixture Size: 17.50" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 10
1350 Lumens
Super energy efficient 3 watts high output LED
7x 10,000K LED
3x Actinic 460nm LED
Use 30 watts

Features:
Best design: slim, light, and yet, contemporary
A three ways toggle on/off switch functions as (1) White/Act. Blue, (2) Off, & (3) Act. Blue as lunar light
Extends up to 22" in length with brackets installed
Individual & replaceable lenses
An external high power transformer

Do you not thing that's good enough to grow any or just what I mentioned? What are your issues with that lighting for a 10g?

Back
Top Bottom