Growing Marimo Moss Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwharold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for an "experts" advice to aid in my growing my 3+ inch Marimo Moss ball and 2 (1-1-2 inch) Moss Balls. I am currently growing them in a small clear "Kritter Keeper" rectangular tank with distilled water and a small piece of coral stone in the bottom which I had heard would help to purify the water. Daily, I add a few drops of API CO2 Booster purported to add carbon dioxide to the water to increase the Moss Ball's growth rate. Once a week, I remove the Moss Balls and squeeze and rinse them under running tap water and then roll them around in my hands until they are well rounded again. I then put them temporarily back into the tank and add Club Soda and allow them to soak in it for several hours and the remove the once more, rinse again and roll them once again, and put them back into the tank and fill it with the distilled water and the daily dose of the API CO2 Booster. Could you comment about my current practices and advise whether the addition of either Epsom Salt or table salt would be of any additional assistance for growth enhancement?:)

I'm not sure salt is a good idea with moss balls (honestly, have never heard of it).
How much light are these receiving? It is always a matter of balance: more light, more ferts, more CO2. The emphasis in your regimen is with a carbon source but I would think a fertilizer of sorts would be helpful.
I have 1 tennis ball size one plus 7 nano moss balls in my shrimp tank. They receive low medium light and daily ferts most of the time (when I remember). I can't say I've ever taken them out, rolled, and rinsed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I actually nearly murdered moss balls with Seachem Flourish Excel, another kind of bottle co2. One recovered when I put it in a 40 gal tub in 70f water with no light at all. Marimo are actually a kind of algae. They grow very slowly :/ I've read carbonated water will help, but glut may actually kill it. I let nerite snails turn the ones I have. What you haven't addressed is actual nutrients for it. Distilled water, no fertilizers? I'd give it old tank water at the least. It'd get some nitrates that way.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom