Growth on platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceresbear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My platy has a bump growing on the top of his head near his mouth. Is this normal? He is eating and seems healthy and active.

Is it growing ? What colour is the bump ? There is a fish disease called columnaris that can present this way, but often such bumps will resolve on their own without any treatment. If it is columnaris it will need medication to treat.

Pic would certainly help.

Platy

The bump turned into a swollen face where his orange coloring turned white. He slowed down and is now dead, so I can't post a picture. I am hoping that the other fish will be OK. I also don't know if I could have given him antibiotics - I have an eel and a knife fish. Thanks for the advice - next time I will try and post a picture. :)

If he passed on that quickly, chances are there was nothing you could do to help him. I do hope the other fish are not affected. I'd do a fair size water change, if there is an organism in the water that will dilute it at least.

Sorry for the loss. It's never fun to lose a pet.

Back
Top Bottom