Growth Red sponge? Not cyano, but ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay here is a strange one. I've got this red growth. Almost looks like a bush that is red with something that appears to be small branchs maybe growing with it.

It's growing on the side of an old clam shell I think.

I poked at it and it's a sponge like material. Literally bounce back up. Rough surface that is sort of bumping (Rounded soft).

None of the clean up crew has touched this and my goby just hangs around it for hiding.

I know it's not cyano, cause it has none of the characteristics (Except red).

Attachments

• red_growth_2_110.jpg
    red_growth_2_110.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 372
  • red_growth_1_753.jpg
    red_growth_1_753.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 542
It is difficlut to tell due to the blurry bic, however it may be a kind of macro algae and if so should not really be a problem.

On the other hand if it is a sponge it will also not be a problem. Sponges often have low survival rates in home aquaria, however it is possible to keep them alive, just difficult with some species.

Can you try and get a better pic? Try shutting your powerheads off, cleaning the glass, and shott from staright on.

I'm going to say it's a species of sponge too, but a better and clearer pic would help. Try using an action setting on your camera, and the macro setting. Helps get clearer shots with less blur.

I love sponges, and 4 years later new ones are still popping up. It's been my experience though that those encrusting sponges tend to like darker areas, such as under liverock.

HTH

Isn't it amazing when new stuff still pops up after years!! It is truly awesome and is why I wish people let their tanks cycle longer with LR just to enjoy the diversity.

I vowed to myself that I'd never buy cured liverock...just because I love the diversity on uncured rock and I like finding it myself. :) Sponges especially are so diverse, colorful, just awesome.

Absolutely! It is probably one of the most interesting aspects of the hobby in the early stages.

All 200 lbs of mine was cured. I still get new stuff today. I just never liked the uncured because of the surprises. I dont like surprises. LOL

Oh I agree. But even with cured as you say, you still get new things! I have had bad experiences with uncured LR. I now prefer high quality base rock mixed with LR because I was able to shape the dry rock and break it into the size pieces I wanted. Not to mention the cost aspect!

Better shot

Little bit better of a shot. I've got a good amount of yellow sponge in the tank already. This seems different.

Attachments

• red4_499.jpg
    red4_499.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 269
Re: Growth Red sponge? Not cyano, but ???

I have some too...not too sure what it is either but I hope this pic helps ID it.
Ive only had the tank setup for a week.

Attachments

• redgrowth.jpg
    redgrowth.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Rredgrowth.jpg
    Rredgrowth.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom