Guilt has set in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I posted about losing one rainbow with another one I'll, I decided tonight after observing her closely for the last day and giving her Epson salt dips it was time to do the inevitable and euthanize her, even though it's a fast process its one of the hardest things a fish keeper has to do not only to put the fish out of their misery but to save the other fish in the tank as well, I couldn't of saved her as it was genetic and would of only lead to more suffering but I'm sitting here full of guilt because I couldn't save her.

I know a lot of people may think this is silly as it's a fish but it's not, these are my pets I just want to put this post out there for all you including me new hobbyist to the fish keeping world, fish will being you great joy if you take care of them do your research, learn as much as you can, if you have questions ask even if it may sound silly as there's never to much knowledge to this hobby, sometimes there's nothing you can do to save them and you have to do the hard decision of euthanasia but whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP.

RIP Lady marmalade July 10th, 2017

Hey there. Yes it is just a fish but it is part of your life. You accept the responsibility to keep and care for it and you want the best life for them. Our fish are part of our everyday life.

Making that decision is gut wrenching. You aren't a fish doctor, even the veterinary docs hardly know anything about how to help fish.

You can only do what you can, what is reasonable and to your abilities.

Don't beat up on yourself. Take some time to grieve (sounds a little bit silly about fish, but a loss is a loss) and then decide if you want similar or same or a different kind of fish, or wait a time.

Review the situation, identify any things which could have been done better, or differently, learn from it to move forward, better than you were before, then shake off the rest of the stuff and just be the better you. <3

Last edited:
My last aquarium before I upgraded had plastic decorations. For years I would bleach dip my decor once or twice a year, rinse it well and put it back to make it look good...

Well th elast time I didn't rinse well enough killed the entire tank including my 14 year old Featherfin catfish.. Yeah I still beat myself up for that one.

You did what you had to do. I've had ot put dogs down, its never easy but ya did what you had to

Potluck, being a serious fish keeper you are more or less a marine biologist trainee, a naturalist and an artist, regarding you're aquascaping.
Look at your fish more like a scientist would look at them, like prized specimens.
You are never going to have a real dog or cat pet relationship with fish.
That attitude has helped me deal with my losses over the years.
Note: I never name my fish. That has always been the kiss of death. Lol.

Some of my fish have names. Some don't. And while I may not have the same type of relationship with my fish, some are certainly very friendly. (We have one Molly named Puppy.)

As to the OP ❤️. Yeah.

Ty you all for the kind words, not all the fish have names just the clown loaches named by my God son and God daughter(wish they hadn't because I can't keep them in the fact my tank isn't big enough) , and the 2 irani reds that were named by my agoraphobia group members lol, I know I did the right thing and I know there will come a day when I have to do it again (hopefully not for the next 5 years lol) I'm just gonna sit back and watch the tank and make sure there nothing going on with it like an watch the tank and look for other signs from other fish before I restock the 2 I lost, again thank you all for the replies I won't give up if anything I will just go bigger ??

Lol I missed the sale on tanks on the 5th of July due to no funds lol, could of got a 150 for $175 grrr lol, in due time they are still kinda small lol not really though about 3.5 inches and fat lol.

Ty on hoping my tank stays well this is the first time in a very long time I've had an issue.

RIP Lady Marmalade you were a good little fishy with a big heart! but you'll be able to join the other fish in the sea and get to swim swim swim.

As all the others have said a loss is a loss and I am sorry to hear how heartbroken you are. take your time to grieve and reflect. look at all the opportunities that lay out infront of you!

True true, funny thing I just looked at the sale paper and I was looking at the wrong tank lol, the 125 gallon was $475.00 not a 150 gallon for $175.00 doah lol that was a 75 gallon, Holy mackerel they are expensive lol.

Craigslist. Also Facebook sometimes has local community Buy/sell/trade groups. Just saw someone trying to get rid of a 60 gallon with a stand for $30.

Craigslist. Also Facebook sometimes has local community Buy/sell/trade groups. Just saw someone trying to get rid of a 60 gallon with a stand for $30.
I need 100 gallon + for my loaches, my lfs sometimes has used tanks that come in I missed a great opportunity about a year ago it was a 250 gallon with stand for $450.00, but that's a huge tank

Wow big difference there!!! lol so you didn't miss out after all.

I haven't ever put up money for a huge tank (new or used - YET) but I do know that I have bought many smaller or different used and ome new tanks other than the one I actually wanted and if I would have just save up and bought the one I really wanted I probaby would have SAVED money :)

In regards to used smaller tanks not too much to worry about (of course with testing).

When you get over 100G in a used tank, I might be a little more concerned. Maybe to ensure a comfort level of safety, a good resealing if there might be any question of its fitness for duty. That is a alot of water to end up leaking on the floor of a house... Makes me a little worried. I have been scouting for a used, really large tank for a little while now.

True true, funny thing I just looked at the sale paper and I was looking at the wrong tank lol, the 125 gallon was $475.00 not a 150 gallon for $175.00 doah lol that was a 75 gallon, Holy mackerel they are expensive lol.

Dang - BIG difference, lol

I guess you really didn't miss out!

Always feel like there would be some amount of nervousness for getting a huge USED tank, really there could be a poor seal/caulking job on a new on as well, any time that over 100-200 gallons of water could end up on your floor one has to give serious consideration - new or used tank! :rolleyes:

The used tanks they get in the owner recaulks them before they sell them but yeah big tanks have to worry about leaks, weight, upkeep etc etc, but I have to get one that's at least 125 for my loaches if I want to keep them if not I have to get a 90 for my rainbows ugh lol, regular price on that new 150 was $825.00 my goodness.

Okay I went to my lfs today to get food and filter floss, they told me that no way is a 125 gallon without a stand $800-$900 they sell them for $325.00 without a stand, she didn't say if they were used or new though so maybe $350 for a used one cause everywhere I look a 125 new is around $800-$850.00, they do have an 80 gallon bow front complete setup stand, tank , hood, lights at the store right now a resealed cleaned and ready to cycle for $400.00 don't know if that's a good deal

I watch my mother octopus tend her eggs day after day. knowing that in 60 days after they hatch shes going to die. Nothing I can do about it. She was such a good girl.

Okay I went to my lfs today to get food and filter floss, they told me that no way is a 125 gallon without a stand $800-$900 they sell them for $325.00 without a stand, she didn't say if they were used or new though so maybe $350 for a used one cause everywhere I look a 125 new is around $800-$850.00, they do have an 80 gallon bow front complete setup stand, tank , hood, lights at the store right now a resealed cleaned and ready to cycle for $400.00 don't know if that's a good deal

That is good news on the bigger tank!

On the bowfront, I got my 72G from CL would have been $400 guy had to get it out of his GF grandmas garage and it was in excellent condition and half price for $200 (stand and lots of tank stuff plus FX-5 filter :D ) Around here anyway used. That would be about the right price in very good condition.

Back
Top Bottom