Guppies in a bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
O.K. So the the grade 7 class at a school in my neighborhood is doing a fun thing called "eco systems" it may sound fun for the kids but I do not agree with putting in 2 Guppies in a Coke Bottle. :evil: How it works is the kids make a little stand for there Coke bottle. Then they put some gravel and a little piece of water lettuce in. Then they add 2 snails and finally 2 Guppies. This is totally animal cruelty! the teacher does not understand guppies need oxygen to live. :( She does not listen to me though. I do not know why they do this It is totally mean the fish live for probably 1 day. :cry:

Sorry for another bad fish keeper post but I just had to say it.

Can you go to the principal or the school board and demand that they don't teach cruelty to children? You could take some written documents that prove that guppies need oxygen. The goal is supposed to be to teach eco systems, not death. Good luck!

Zagz said:
...prove that guppies need oxygen.

ROTFL

As for the post, its very sad, whoever sends them a message you can put my name on the pitetion:)

Depending on where AquariumFreak's school is, perhaps a member of one of the local aquarium societies could drop by to lend an expert opinion.

PsiPro said:
Zagz said:
...prove that guppies need oxygen.

ROTFL

As for the post, its very sad, whoever sends them a message you can put my name on the pitetion:)

I'd sign a petition too in a heartbeat.

It drives me nuts how many people think fish require no oxygen just because they live in water. LOL.

wow... great teacher they have! don't even know that fish breathe... What else does he/she teach them? 2+2=0?

And a more constructive post...

Back when I was in college, we did an experiment in biology class. The teacher had sort of set up an aquarium (just a tank, no filter or anything, it wasn't made to stay very long). He had simply used stuff from a nearby natural pond in a wooded area. He had taken some of the dirt in the bottom, some of the plants around, and the water. There were no fish in there.

In class, the student would take a sample of the water or the dirt or whatever and look at it in the microscope. You wouldn't believe all the tiny living microorganisme were in there. We had to draw them. We learned about the ecosystem of that pond.

Maybe they could do something like this instead of a bottle... Might be too complicated though as they would need some microscopes.

Not only is no oxygen bad for the fish, but wouldn't the platic bottle somewhat leach into the water?!. And I agree, what is that teacher teaching them! and i love guppies :cry:

It sounds like they are trying to mimic those little sealed glass spheres, that have a little plant in them, and some kind of invert (i think it's a small shrimp?).

those are equally as cruel though.

put my name on the petition too.

heck, PM me the phone number for the school, and I'll gladly speak to the principal, and let him know this 'class project' has reached the internet community...and the community is not pleased :evil:

Toirtis said:
That would be assuming that there were any guidelines or laws governing such a thing...which there are not.

but she probably wouldn't know that & they are usually able to do SOMETHING about it :) i know a few ppl hwo have had problems with bettas not being kept in good conditions, it worked

KittyKat said:
Toirtis said:
That would be assuming that there were any guidelines or laws governing such a thing...which there are not.

but she probably wouldn't know that & they are usually able to do SOMETHING about it :) i know a few ppl hwo have had problems with bettas not being kept in good conditions, it worked

Not here (our animal cruelty laws are very different from those in the UK)....the people responsible would be the SPCA, and I can pretty much guarantee that they would not be permitted (by their own organisation) to even go out and look.

Back
Top Bottom