Guppies - Newbie Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When my 5 gallon tank has spent some time with fish in it and is completely cycled, I'm thinking of putting male guppies in the tank.

I had originally decided to go with Neon Tetras, but I added too many at one time and 5 out of the 6 died within 9 hours. The 6th one is doing great but in the short time they were swimming I noticed they tend to stay around my decorations at the bottom and were tough for my 5 year old to watch.

I'm now thinking about putting some guppies in there and have a couple questions:

1) How many male guppies could I put in a 5 gallon tank?
2) Do they swim more towards the middle/top of the tank?
3) Could I leave my 1 neon tetra in there?
4) What would be a good bottom dweller to put with the guppies? Cherry Shrimp? African Dwarf Frog? Snail? {I would like something to help keep the tank clean}
5) How many of your response to your response in question 4 should I get?

I appreciate your help!

TripleB67

Honestly, neon tetras weren't the way to go, anyways. They need at least a 10 gallon, and they are really insanely picky about water conditions.

1- I would only do three male guppies, though you have to be careful because sometimes they'll nip at each other.
2- Guppies usually stay more towards the top.
3- I would rehome the neon tetra. They usually don't do well by themselves.
4-I would only do shrimp and one snail. African dwarf frogs are not really bottom feeders.
5- How ever many you feel you need to get a good number of opinions.

I'd really suggest just doing a single male betta in there with maybe some shrimps and a snail for company. Most fish really don't do well in that small of a tank.

You could do just an African dwarf frog tank. Two in there would be sufficient.

Or you could do a low-light planted tank with just shrimp. A lot of people love the shrimp tanks because they are so fun and interesting to watch.

Any which way... Good luck!

Look into male Endler's livebearers. You can easily do seven without a problem. I wouldn't put anything else in the tank, though. Throw in some Anubias and Java fern as well.

David

The only problem with the male guppies is they will change sex eventually if no females are added

The only problem with the male guppies is they will change sex eventually if no females are added

Never had this happen, never seen it happen, never heard of this happening...?

Mckitrick said:

No. Only in a group of females will the dominant female become a male. Never ever can they turn back into a female.

Think of it like this

The fry are all born as females, and some turn into males, and absorb the eggs and the female parts. Then grow the male parts and the gonopodium (sp?) but once the eggs have been absorbed by the body they cant grow back. The sex change either happens early in life or later in the life of he guppy. Normally i happens during the fry stage, but sometimes females turn into males later in life when a male is needed to continue the fry flow.

I hope thats not confusing lol

1-only get one or two they might nip each other

2-they usually stay near the top

3-neon tetras like to school so after it is up and running for a while I would get some more but yes they should be fine.

4-if you have black gravel go for a cherry shrimp, if you have blue or red gravel get a gold mystery snail.

1) I would get 3

2) Near the Top

3) The neon won't like being the only one in the tank and should be kept in a bigger tank. Neons would get along with guppies, though.

4) I would go with red cherry shrimp or a snail. Whichever you like better.

Yes i know that but i thought they could change if they needed like females

Endler's are sometimes sold as feeder guppies so get your bunch from a good dealer.

Back
Top Bottom