Guppies with Clamped Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoyoteWildfire

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All right, so I saw one of my fancy guppies yesterday with the top of his fin missing. I thought maybe it had gotten nipped... Then today, I realized that his fin wasn't missing but rather not fanning--it was clamped. It's little more than a point now.

Then I noticed another guppy is starting to display the same symptoms...

I did parameters today.

Temp: 78F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Did a 30% PWC and added some aquarium salt (about half a dose). I'll wait to see what's going on.

The only thing I can think of that I've done differently since I got them was start adding half-doses of aquarium salt to my PWCs and liquid ferts (API brand).

I'll hold off on the liquid ferts for now to see if there's any improvement and do another PWC on Thursday. If there's no improvement, I'll do another 50% PWC on Saturday without any salt.

I haven't noticed any signs of ich, or parasites... There's been no flashing, no change in behavior, no loss in appetite or ability to swim... I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Had some flashing before I added the guppies, used some salt in combination with elevated temps, a good gravel vac, and PWCs to help remedy it.

Haven't had any flashing since.

Came home today and found one of the guppies hadn't made it and another was displaying the start of clamped fins.

Did a 50% PWC, no salt, will do another tomorrow.

Lost two more guppies. Did another gravel vac and PWC, no salt added, no ferts used.

No temp fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom