Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 females and today is the day I buy a male to add to the tank how many males do u think I should buy?

I got my male guppy today an my stupid tiger barbs won't stop chasing him! Also do u think I should put him ad my 4 female guppies in a breeding net for 24 hours to see if they wil mate?

The tiger barbs aren't stupid. Tiger barbs are not suitable tank mates for guppies. My tiger barbs eat guppies. Well, they kill and pick them apart.

The guppies will not breed under stressful conditions, like being kept in a breeding net.

You really ought to choose between the guppies and the tiger barbs.

I bought one male from the same pet shop a week ago it died! Just bought another one from there today 4 hours later it's dead! Shall I go elsewhere?? U say they pick on them! How comes the 4 female guppies are fine and they dont get chased? Is it cos there is only 1 male perhaps if I get 2 will that b better??

I agree with deciding between the barbs OR the guppies. And one male to four females sounds right

I think we would all have a better idea if you would provide details for your tank.

size and stock would be a good place to start.

In my tank I have 4 neons, 9 tiger barbs, 1 bristlenose, 4 guppies and 2 hoplosternum catfish and 4 shrimps. It's 165 litre and temp is 78 any ideas? Is it the tiger barbs killing the male guppies

Looked like he just died! He kept swimming at top! But that's the second one from that shop! Do u think the male tiger barbs see him as a threat?

No, the tiger barbs don't look at them like a threat. They look at it like something fun to harass.

Barbs are big fin nippers, as you've already noticed. Is the male guppy the kind with the huge fluttering fancy tail? That could just be too big a temptation to pass up for them.

The tail is the reason. They stand out and to be fair a guppy is is as good as bloodworm to the tiger barb. They are extremely aggressive and I am a little shocked the females haven't been killed either. You have to choose either the barbs, in which case it will be a aggressive/ semi aggressive tank or the guppies and have a community tank.

I said in my first post I would choose between the guppies and the tiger barbs. I wouldn't keep them together, period. If I were you, I would replace the TBs with black ruby barbs (similar looking to tigers), gold barbs or cherry barbs.

Back
Top Bottom