Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eny97

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppies had fry a couple weeks ago and I was wondering how big should they be before I release them into the main tank?

My tank consists of:
3 glass shrimp
2 black mollies
3 platties
2 black kuhli loach
3 peppered Cory cats
3 fancy guppies

At least 1/4 in long

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on how your other fish will react. I leave all my fry stay in the same tank with the adults and juveniles. What a lot of people don't understand is that most fish will adapt to the fact that smaller tankmates are swimming aeround as well. And when they get used to that fact the less they will chase those small ones. Of course, no 100% guarantee that they won't snap one for it's only natural. But it's true that once the adults are used to smaller tankmates that they will less hunt them down. I can assure you that in all my tanks most offspring will survive in the same tanks with the adults.

Usually they will be big enough that if you provide plants and hiding spaces and feed your adults well that you don't have to worry about it at all just let them be born in the main tank or net out the fry and raise them in a ten gallon. You defintely shouldn't use that breeding trap, its stressful on the prego female. "At what time" would be like a week to ten days old they should have eaten some and grown large enough to not fit in a adult guppy's mouth that they will be relatively safe around adults.

Back
Top Bottom