Guppy Birthing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any guesses how much longer this girl has?
This is Honey :) she's my first female guppy so no experience with guppy birth...
I know they square off like the other live bearers, but wondering if the black inside her will move closer to her vent before birth...
Those are the babies, right?

View attachment 86501

Im in the same boat all my live bearers are pregnant and no little ones yet, the ones that have mated off have their male followers. I call the married couple which is the female blue rainbow and male bumblebee platy so cute and excited for the youngings

Oooh, me too! I just got some guppies today (read my thread, "Did something crazy today!") and turns out 2 of them are preggers! Don't know what i should do next. I guess i'm sitting and waiting. OCMINPIN-whose in the tank with your pregnant one? I don't know where to put mine, but my guppy ratio is off-7 males and 2 females. Do i really need to watch the tank all the time? Shoud i set up a fry tank?

RaygunK said:
Oooh, me too! I just got some guppies today (read my thread, "Did something crazy today!") and turns out 2 of them are preggers! Don't know what i should do next. I guess i'm sitting and waiting. OCMINPIN-whose in the tank with your pregnant one? I don't know where to put mine, but my guppy ratio is off-7 males and 2 females. Do i really need to watch the tank all the time? Shoud i set up a fry tank?

I recommend getting more females, the ratio is supposed to be 3 females to 1 male, keeping that many males in the tank is bad because they will chase the females so much that they can stress them out and they will die

To answer your question she is very close if you have a birthing trap now would be the time to put her in it

charybdis said:
To answer your question she is very close if you have a birthing trap now would be the time to put her in it

I haven't ever used traps or boxes... I either remove mother to her own 10g birthing tank or remove fry after birth... She's with 3 other preggo about to pop mamas... (2 Platies & a
Molly)... It's a race to the finish line... All 4 are in my 20g L.

And as you say, you think she's close... She's bumpier looking, more prominently black inside, almost like stretched skin...

Okay that works to I just have all ways been a fan of birthing traps. Good luck when she gives birth

I find that breeding traps despite being a haven for fry, tend to be quite stressful for the female. I prefer the natural approach and prefer netting the fry into a breeding net as it allows water flow and an unstressful environment.

Chronos313 said:
I find that breeding traps despite being a haven for fry, tend to be quite stressful for the female. I prefer the natural approach and prefer netting the fry into a breeding net as it allows water flow and an unstressful environment.

I think fry would grow too slow in a net... I know once I move my fry out of my 10g into my 20 they double size in 2 wks. I only imagine how fast they would grow if I put fry in my 20g or 29 right off as a fry tank...

My fry were born in a breeding net and then they were moved to a 2 gal tank. After 1 wk we moved them to the community tank with danios and 3 catfish. Lots of plants. 5 out of 10 have survived to 6 wks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120406_005254.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120406_005254.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 80
That was one of my males.

I cant get anymore pictures to attach because it keeps crashing. I think they have sprouted well. I ended up with 2 males and 3 females.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120406_005455.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120406_005455.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20120406_005522.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120406_005522.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 78
Chiming back in, b/c i found a teeny, tiny fry today while adding some low covering plants preparing for the fry. It was almost translucent/white w/eyes. It's not one of the platy fry i found a couple weeks ago. So my question is could my female guppy have already given birth to a couple of fry? Or does she drop them all at once? She still looks pregnant to me, so i stuck her in my breeding trap just in case she's having them now. How does it work--has she had them all already and now i'm on the hunt for survivors or will she have more?

I guess, there's also the option of the fry being from a different fish all together! ;)

RaygunK said:
Chiming back in, b/c i found a teeny, tiny fry today while adding some low covering plants preparing for the fry. It was almost translucent/white w/eyes. It's not one of the platy fry i found a couple weeks ago. So my question is could my female guppy have already given birth to a couple of fry? Or does she drop them all at once? She still looks pregnant to me, so i stuck her in my breeding trap just in case she's having them now. How does it work--has she had them all already and now i'm on the hunt for survivors or will she have more?

I guess, there's also the option of the fry being from a different fish all together! ;)

Seen my first fry today also! It's so cute and tiny. Im letting nature take its path, but let me tell you after seeing it my mind changed for a split second. But he seems strong hiding , and he's a fast lil thing

Well I wish I would have let nature take its course. I went poking through my fry tank to get another look at the new fry & I'm pretty sure it's dead now. :( I bet i some how killed it capturing it in the gravel & putting it in the fry tank. So, sad. I did take a picture of it just to see what kind it was.

View attachment 87377

I'm not messing with any more fry. :(

RaygunK said:

This has happened to me before it is usually a sign of streets on the mother. But so long as it still looks like she is still carrying more then she probably is. I would check your water peramiters to see if that is what is stressing the mother out.

Breeders traps often stress out females into abortion and or death. I only use my trap for babies until I can move them to the nursery. I go the natural way with my guppies and other livebearers. To answer your question, yes she is preggers and those are the fry, often but the in the second pic she still looks a few days away from birthing.

Back
Top Bottom