guppy breeding (first time!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishy2222

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I plan to get two fancy guppies and breed them, but first I want to make sure I'm planning to do everything right. Any advice is appreciated!

Okay so I'm going to get the two guppies next week after i get the water tested again and make sure it's okay. We had it tested yesterday at Petco and the ph level was very high. I have a 2.5 gallon tank. The lady said to do a 50% water change and add some safestart, so I did that and I have the filter running. She also said to wait 7 days before adding fish, hence why I'm getting them next week. I don't have a heater because my tank is so small but I do have a thermometer so I can keep an eye on the temp. It is about 80 right now, which is good for guppies, right?
Anyways so once I get the male and female I'm going to put them together in my 2.5 gal. Once the femal gets pregnant I'm going to put the male in a different tank. about 20 days into gestation, I'm going to put her in the fry tank, which will either be 6.6 or 10 gallons, nnot sure yet. While she is preg in the 2.5 gal tank should I add another female to keep her company? The fry tank won't have any gravel but lots of places to hide. i'm not sure if I'm going to use a breeding box yet because I want to make it as stress-free as possible for her. Once she gives birth to all of the fry. I'm going to put her back into the 2.5 gal and obviously keep the fry in the fry tank. I plan on feeding the fry bbs and microworms with occasional egg yolk to boost their protein.

random ?s I have: What live plants do you recommend for a fry tank? Do males get along together? you feed guppies tropical fish food, right? is there any human food or live food that would be good for the male and female before they breed and the female while she is preg?

Like I said, this is my first time. i have no experience, I've only read a ton and I love fish:)

hello fishyfishy ,

i breed guppies all the time i have 3 pregnant females at the moment. :)

to be honest your best bet would be to keep 2-3 females to every male you have . so instead of getting 1 female and 1 male .. get 3 females and 1 male ..

when the female gets pregnant she will develope a black spot on her stomach area and she will be noticable bigger having a rounder belly ..

when i think shes close to popping them out ill put her in a breeder box that way the fry will be safe from her oce they are born . sometimes they eat the fry.

if there in the tank with the mother then theres a chance alot of them will get eaten but if you use a breeder box they wont get eaten .

i feed my guppies on normal tropical flakes and feed the new fry on liquid fry no.2
and when there big enough feed them tetramin baby powder ( crushed flake food )

hope i have helped you out . let me know how you get on i will post pics and maybe a video of my new fry in next couple of days for you to see .

:)

Normally when my guppy is going to pop i transfer her to my iso tank and keep the lights off for about 2 days and on day 3 take her out and normally i get about 15 to 30 fry

Thanks for your advice:) The only reason I was hesitant to get 2 or 3 females is because my tank is so small. Do you think 2 females and a male will fit in a 2.5 gallon tank?

Quick question, have you cycled the tank at all? Like the nitrogen cycle. Also don't listen to put stores especially petsmart and petco. They just want to make a sale. If you have cycled your tank and your ph is normal to what it was in the cycle then get your fish. Fish are very adaptable to ph. As long as it isn't one big change at once... YouTube drip acclimation.

fishyfishy2222 said:
Thanks for your advice:) The only reason I was hesitant to get 2 or 3 females is because my tank is so small. Do you think 2 females and a male will fit in a 2.5 gallon tank?

Generally with guppies i use a .5g per fish

Also if you just want the flashy males get a styrofoam cooler most are 5 gallon and an airpump as a breeding tank

Back
Top Bottom