Guppy breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweitzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am all set with how to breed guppies and how to take care of the fry, im just really curious if the mom of the fry will eat her own fry

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am all set with how to breed guppies and how to take care of the fry, im just really curious if the mom of the fry will eat her own fry

Certainly will if she has the chance.

Ok because i have a community guppy tank then a smaller tank that the pregnat mom is in and im planning to jst take her out after she gives birth. Is that a good idea?

I would net her after she has given birth so she can't get to the fry but also so she can rest. Guppies get tired after pregnancy too! :)

Caleb

Last edited:
Ok so i will keep her in with the fry for 24hrs aftr birth

Ok because i have a community guppy tank then a smaller tank that the pregnat mom is in and im planning to jst take her out after she gives birth. Is that a good idea?

That will work , I just went through the exact same thing , except I was not expecting babies so it was a surprise. Breeder box is another option.

breeder boxes are a bad idea, what i would do is drape i det into the water of the smaller tank, the net needs to be small enoughf for the mom not to get through but big enoughf for the babies to pass through to safety, leave 2-4 inches of water for the mon

breeder boxes are a bad idea, what i would do is drape i det into the water of the smaller tank, the net needs to be small enoughf for the mom not to get through but big enoughf for the babies to pass through to safety, leave 2-4 inches of water for the mon

Why is that a bad idea?

I acually jst got a laundry bag that is going to sit rght inside the tank. It was a pretty good idea

Why is that a bad idea?

because the small spaces will stress out the mom she may release early or hold them back and release them later, both result in dead fry, and stressing out an already stressed out mom isn't a good idea, and the mothers like to hide in some plants or by a decoration to make them feel safe.

I have a 3g tank tht u got a laundry netting with holes for the fry to fit through so the mom is on top and the fry will fall through when she lats them if i didnt stress her out to much

well if that works for you, how are the fry in a 3 gallon, im fine with puting the mom in a small tank while she is birthing but having a larger space for them will allow you to put them in there before she gives birth

My guppy has now had 3 births and of each one I have been able to save 2-3 babies. They always have them at random times in the middle of the night.

40g community
36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
5.5g betta

Back
Top Bottom