Guppy breeding with Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why is my guppy constantly trying to breed with my platy? There is another guppy for him. I now know this is what he's doing cause he's chasing them around and pointing his "fin" at her.. (Not really sure if that's what it's called) Can they actually have guppy/platy babies? If they do, I will name them Pluppys! lol.

I have heard that a male guppy will court anything with a heart beat, but I don't know if they can have babies? I am not sure if they are close enough to be able to hybridize.

Guppies and plates cannot breed but a Molly and a guppy can; and platy and a swordtail can.

+1 to Chrisinator

Guppies and platies cannot breed, but the guppy will sure try to.
Ive once had a male guppy more interested in my female molly than its other female companions. Guppies are weird and interesting fish, I think everyone has had different experiences with them ;)

Tyler

shadylady23 said:
Why is my guppy constantly trying to breed with my platy? There is another guppy for him. I now know this is what he's doing cause he's chasing them around and pointing his "fin" at her.. (Not really sure if that's what it's called) Can they actually have guppy/platy babies? If they do, I will name them Pluppys! lol.

My guppies are constantly chasing my danios around! Its hilarious, shame ones a livebearer and other has egss cz theyd make gorgeous babies! Haha

Back
Top Bottom