guppy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynmccoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 6 female guppies now 32 days ago and 3 were already pregnant. These 3 have still have not had their babies! The temperature is right, I have ground cover. They are in their own tank so there's no stress from the males.For the last week they have been putting food in their mouth and spitting it back out. They are staying near the bottom near the bottom near the plants. All of their bellies are black and filled with babies. We can see their eyes,and at time even seen them moving around inside the bellies. I read online that if you feed your pregnant livebearer that is overdue tubeworms that they will induce the guppie's labor the the babies will be born. I'm worried at this point that I will lose both babies and mommas. Any ideas? The other 3 were bread a week later and are at the 27-28 day stage.

Breeding Guppies

Good morning lyn...

The gestation period for Fancy Guppies can last up to six weeks and the female Guppies can hold the fry until conditions are right for survival. Conditions include lighting, temperature and the overall health of the mother and good, healthy plants. The best plant is Water Sprite. It does especially well floated. When the fry are born, they immediately swim to the top for air, that's why they need good cover floating at the top of the tank. The mother needs this too so she feels secluded from the rest of the fish. This may be a reason for her holding the fry.

Once the fry are born, it's important to feed a little food several times a day. This keeps the adult fish satisfied and more likely to leave the fry alone.

B

Back
Top Bottom