Guppy Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently purchased four fancy tail guppies two male and two female. How long should it take to get fry from them? They are in a 10g with five neons.

Guppy77 said:
I have recently purchased four fancy tail guppies two male and two female. How long should it take to get fry from them? They are in a 10g with five neons.

Not long at all! The females may already be impregnated. Otherwise I'd give it a couple weeks. Make sure you have a safe place for the fry! Do you have pictures of the parents-to-be? ;)

Yes I will post them tomorrow. I have a one gallon tank ready for the fry but the temperature is a little colder will that matter

Wow what a pretty boy.

Yes temperature does make a difference. High temps lead to faster growth.
If you don't have a glass tank I highly suggest getting a $1 big rubbermaid container from Walmart, or any that you have lying around the house, and stick a heater in it. It's hard to control the temp in a freestanding 1g container. You can get a breeder net for inside the tank too. Or float tupperware containers in the main tank and do several daily water changes. You have a lot of options. A bigger plastic container with a sponge filter is successful with me, and very cost and space efficient! ;) i also like the internal breeder net method for small batches!

i just recently started breeding livebearers, and the breeding net works best for me:)
i would definatly recommend it.
keep the babies seperated for about 3weeks (or at least until they are bigger than bite-size)
considering you only have guppies and neons right now, it won't take long for them to get bigger than bite-size :)
best of luck with your guppies, and enjoy your aquarium journey!

Thanks for all the advice but today while I was at school the pregnant female had all the fry and to my surprise almost all lived but I have an issue there is a tiny bit of green algae how do I stop that before it really gets started

first, just scrub it off and make sure your water levels are good.
remember, a little bit of algae can be good.
but there is a fine line between healthy algae and exessive algae.
i would recommend a few small live plants, they seem to help my friend's pond fight algae growth, so i figure the same concept could apply here.
also remember, just because most of the babies lived, doesn't necisarily mean they are safe.
they are still in danger of being eaten for a few weeks, and you really should seperate them. (review my earlier post)

i think you'll have lots of fun watching the babies grow!
do you plan on keeping them? selling them to a LFS? personally selling them?
details man, DETAILS! :)

Thanks I bought two snails and that did a number on the algae. And as for details I will be selling to a local pet store

its great that the algae problem has been taken care of, but you've created a whole new set of problems for yourself...
snails can reproduce asexually and you will probably be overcrowded soon :(

selling to a local pet store... nice!

Back
Top Bottom