Guppy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bisqueshoppe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to achieve guppy breeding for myself. I currently have 70 sweet fry but they were a "surprise" I would like to achieve a well designed guppy "color".
Any one know about guppy genetics or breeding breakdown, where to start, do's, don't's.

Honestly, I would use the search function here - maybe in advanced and search the breeding section for Guppies.

If you have a very serious desire to breed excellet guppies, you may want to find a group of hobbyists near you.

There is the International Fancy Guppy Association, and a number of other groups.

This is the kind of thing you might want to learn about for the breeding standards and what a good guppy should look like so you can make the best selecton for a group of fish.

They are usually set up in breeding trios, and can be very expensive, for champion fish.

And if you are interesting in creating/perpetuating a line of high quality fish. You need to know they require higher than average care, feeding and culling.

A female guppy like fom your surprise momma, is able to have further surprise births for more than 6 months because they store the males sperm.

There are many different kinds and shapes of Guppies (tails particularly). So selecting one kind will also require numerous grow out tanks as well. Live foods are very useful.

That's a great start. I have really devoted myself to my fish and hope to expand and explore. I have noticed the prices on some of the "pretty" guppies. But like I said I'm fascinated with this stuff now. We have a business so someone is always home for our animals so the quality of care is never a problem And we have 8 tanks so far and are still looking for equipment all the time. Thank you for your input.

I would recommend multiple tanks per strain. Live food water is great for fish. A lot of breeders use live plants like Guppy Grass, or Hornwort. A lot use sponge filters.

I am ordering a purple delta and have a yellow vailtail. How do you think that combo will collide together. Because with the hb female and the yellow male the babies are mostly Yellow with a hint of black tail a very few came out sunset looking.

Get ready for a major tank battery build. You will need a lot of tanks.

Space is always at a premium when breeding. Their is never enough.

It takes years to develop a new strain. You have to get them to breed true to the color.

The strain also has to be hardy. This means you need a lot of trios to start with.

You should also get your trios from several different breeders from around the country.

This will insure you are not starting off inbreeding.

You have to number your trios and document who is breeding with who.

Its real easy to get mixed up.

Find out what the minimum tank size the guppy breeders are using for there breeding tanks and rearing tanks.

Mollie breeding is why I'm giving up my gold fish breeding and my turtles.

I just don't have the time to breed and raise every thing. I need the room for the mollies.

That's smart to order from different areas. Thank you. What should a trio consist of.

If your goal is to come out with a different color that hasn't been done yet, and breed true to that color. That is special.

I highly doubt that is in my stars. But that would be cool. I'm so excited to get my sweet little ones today.

Back
Top Bottom