Guppy Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey All

I have a problem with guppies dying. 6 have died so far in my community tank and all the other fish have been ok. In my tank is 1 Gouramis, 4 Danios, 3 Minnows, 2 Apistogramma, and one guppy (all that is left ). I am wondering if Guppies are more sensitive to my many mistakes. The most recent error was not making sure the new water was the right temperature when doing a water change, new water was too cold. The next day one guppy was dead, maybe a coincidence.:(

For the dead guppies or the other fish? Actually I am not sure for either. I got most of the fish a while back and don't remember their sex. The pet store didn't say either way as I recall.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if the gourami was killing the guppies. They can be aggressive.

Also like the poster asked about the ratio of male to females was on the guppies. You need all female or 3 females to 1 male because the males will constantly try and breed. Having more than one helps to keep the male from pecking the females to death

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

True. I know I have too many males. The females will get stressed, and eventually just get sick and die.

As you were saying, you can't tell them apart. The males are smaller and sometimes more colourful, and the females are bigger and more dull. (You know how it is, the little guys really like the big gals.)

Well with guppies it is fairly easy! The makes have an extra long pointy underside fin.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409974383.487788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's another example. These aren't mine, but these are the type I have. Got told they were endlers, but they are pretty much the same thing. Check out the size and tails...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409990477.337374.jpg

This girly is all fan like and she's big...

And here's the male ....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409990535.505393.jpg

This is what I was going off of. I could be wrong though although it's how I do it. I suppose Angela's way is easier than waiting for colour to come in.

Back
Top Bottom