guppy fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriendly94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do i have to have a seperate tank to rear my fry, if so how big? or is there a middle ground between seperate tank and loose in main tank. plz help, i want to do this right but don't have a lot of room. i live in studio apartment.

As with any fry, there is always the chance of being eaten by other fish/parents unless they are cichlids whereas the parents take care of the young

When I wanted to have fry, I either separated the eggs out/or removed fry as soon as they were born into a 10 or 20 gallon tank depending on the species.

I hope this helps and good luck

I forgot...I reintroduce the fry into larger tank when they are too big to be eaten by tank mates.

Meh... I used a breeding net for mine (I had like 10) and I let them grow for about a month, and released them. They were too big to be eaten by then. Also, if you have like 100's, I would just leave them or they will overpopulated your tank. This may sound harsh, but in nature... The weak will be eaten and only the strong will live.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

If you want you can just raise them in a tub with a heater and filter. You can feed them finely crushed flake or special fry bites at first, just got to do alot of water changes and make sure the tub is off the ground so your siphon will work. Best temp is 78-82F

I am raising my 1st batch of guppy fry right now. The mama fish, Lotus, was pregnant when I got her. I just bought a cheap little 3 gallon tank, and I bought a 5 gallon sponge filter off ebay for around 3 bucks. I had the little 3 gallon tank set up and running so that it would be ready for the babies. When Lotus looked ready to me, I put her in the breeding net. About a week later she gave birth to 10 tiny fry. (Actually, 11, but she ate one.) I moved the fry into the 3 gallon and fed them crushed flake food, and frozen brine shrimp. At a month old they were big enough to move into my kid's guppy tank with their 2 adult guppies.
Some people say that if you have java moss in your main tank, the babies will hide in it and some will survive. I might try that if my guppy had a bunch of fry, but since mine only had 10, I decided to save them all. I have also heard some people use floating plants for fry to hide in, but this is my first try raising guppy fry, so I don't know how well it works.

What kind\color guppies do you have? Is the mama close to giving birth? I have another guppy in the breeder net now that I am thinking will have babies soon! So exciting! Good luck. I hope this helps. If you can, please let me know what you decide to do and share your experience. I am always trying to learn more. Happy Fishkeeping!

nv7bpl.jpg

Here is a picture of my fry that I took today. They are about 6 weeks old. The big guppy with them is my son's fish, Blue Thunder. :)

How big would you say those fry are? Mine are only nearly 4 weeks and they're about 1.5 cm, I'm worried that they will die as there are only 3 survivors 2 from one fish and 1 from another, that one was born prematurely with deformed brothers and sisters that's why I value it as it's not deformed, there was another on but it was tiny and slipped out of my breeding trap gaps and got eaten

I would say mine are about a half an inch long. Some are bigger than others. For pretty much the whole first month my boyfriend thought they weren't growing. I could tell they were, but he couldn't see any difference until recently. What are you feeding yours? I think the frozen brine shrimp really helped mine grow, but I guess I don't really have any way to know for sure. I can't wait until they color up a bit more. Right now they are all a pale yellowish-beige color, but some of them have black spots on their tails. These fry may not be too colorful, as the mom, Lotus, is a very plain looking female. I have no clue what the dad looked like because I bought her pre-hit.

It's pretty awesome that you were able to save a premature guppy! You must be doing something right. That will probably be a very special guppy to you, a little survivor. When he/she gets a little bigger, maybe you can get a picture to put on here. I really hope they all make it.
Good Luck, and Happy Fishkeeping!

You guys should look into how to make a "agar" gel food for guppy fry. That way they can snack all day like a little kid and grow nice and big.
Anyways.....i got lost on the OP
You should just float a bunch of fake plants in the tank and take out the males. DONT USE BREEDING TRAPS I raised guppies for 5 years and sold fancy ones to the LFS. All you do is take out the males or all but one and put plenty of plants, not at the buttom, but thru the entire top half of the tank, like fake plastic plants, just drop them into the tank dont plant them. you will have tons of fry.
That way, the female has a place to hide, time to relax from the males, and the fry have a place to hide.

My guppies are in a community tank with other fish so I still prefer the breeder net. I have never used a breeding trap, though. I have been floating plastic plants in the breeding net with the guppy mama so she feels like she can hide. Hopefully, that helps.
I will look into that agar gel. Thanks for the ideas!

your very welcome I love to help and i use to love guppies. I got some wild ones now, and fancy goldfish. I like to help out new people so the hobby can survive and stores don't stop selling guppies or any fancy fish because "they die to easy", stores and new people are constantly giving bad advice to others and they quit the hobby for no reason other than arrogance.

It can be hard when you're new. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I read all the time, but there is so much conflicting information out there. I think it comes down to patience, and finding out what works for you. What works for one person may not work as well for another. There is some trial and error involved. When I first started, I had never even heard of cycling! It is a learning process, but I love it. :)

I put my guppy fry in a fry net for the first 4 weeks and then release them into the mainImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398725351.622497.jpg they tend to be too big to turn into lunch but will depend on what fish you have in there

I do the same, some grow quicker than others so I pick out the larger ones every couple weeks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 104
How long till you start seeing colour in the fry, I'm trying to work out who the dad is, I have 4 males each a different colour/pattern

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom