Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenda26910

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppy had fry last night but only had about 8 or 9. Another female had fry two day ago and only had 3. Any idea why so little? They were both in breeder boxes so I know they didn't get eaten. Also the fry are now in a small tank by themselves. When I put them in there it wasn't heated, my question is if I add a small heater now will it hurt them?

You should add a heater because it will help to keep the frywarm and it will also elp them to grow a little faster

I have guppies that have had about 25 one time, and 10 the next (today actually). I know that younger female guppies or first time mamas are more likely to have less babies than say a guppy who's had 4 or 5 births. I don't know how old your fish are or if they've had babies before, but that could be why.

I am not sure how old they are. I bought them about 2 weeks ago.

If you bought them from a place where there were females mixed with males, then they can countine to have fry many times for up to a year even when they are not put with males. It's really cool how guppies work like that, so you may even have more babies in 4 weeks or so.

They were mixed when I bought them. I have 3 females and 2 males.

I have guppies that have had about 25 one time, and 10 the next (today actually). I know that younger female guppies or first time mamas are more likely to have less babies than say a guppy who's had 4 or 5 births. I don't know how old your fish are or if they've had babies before, but that could be why.
+1... I have also personally witnessed the mother eating the fry as they came out. Even though they are in a breeder box, it is possible for the mother to get the fry before they fall into the bottom of the trap. You also get some brave fry who will swim back into the compartment with the mother!!

You should have a heater in ur tank but if the temp doesn't drop too low they won't ind but they like temps like 28 Celsius and that's when they grow the fasted

Adorable:) Like I said before, guppies can countinue to have babies for a while even if they've been taken away from the male(s). Though, when they have these babies, they tend to have less than the first "batch". Could be another reason why.

My guppy had fry last night but only had about 8 or 9. Another female had fry two day ago and only had 3. Any idea why so little? They were both in breeder boxes so I know they didn't get eaten. Also the fry are now in a small tank by themselves. When I put them in there it wasn't heated, my question is if I add a small heater now will it hurt them?

through personally experience, if the female is her first time giving birth. she will usually give birth to about the amount you mention. the second time around should be around 20ish.

Back
Top Bottom