Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought ten guppies, and four of the six females came pregnant. I don't have enough space for several hundred guppies, so I need to sell them when they are born. What would be the best way to transport them over short distances? Any tips on keeping guppy fry? This is my first time with guppies, so I can never be too prepared. Thanks in advance!

I recently bought ten guppies, and four of the six females came pregnant. I don't have enough space for several hundred guppies, so I need to sell them when they are born. What would be the best way to transport them over short distances? Any tips on keeping guppy fry? This is my first time with guppies, so I can never be too prepared. Thanks in advance!

Not sure about anyone else's experience but any livebearers I kept other than Endlers ate their own fry.

I have a safe place for the fry where they can't be eaten. So the smart ones will survive.

I have a safe place for the fry where they can't be eaten. So the smart ones will survive.

If you don't want fry why not get rid of the safe place? Other than very rare or unusual strains I doubt you'll make much money on guppy fry.

I don't want them to die just because there are too many. I think things like culling are cruel and unnecessary. And the local fish store did have some fairly unusual ones.

I already found some people to sell to. I just want to know how to transport the guppies.

I already found some people to sell to. I just want to know how to transport the guppies.

If transporting by mail: buy some Kordon Breather Bags and heater packs. They are found easily online. I would recommend USPS Priority.

If transporting by car: just keep enough water in a container that it retain heat for the car ride, but not splash all over your upholstery.

Good luck!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

My largest female guppy looks like she's about to pop. Is it normal for the gravid spot to become huge and red?

My largest female guppy looks like she's about to pop. Is it normal for the gravid spot to become huge and red?

Define red: bloody red, you-can-see-a-bit-of-thorax red, or just a warm brown?

If she's starting to "Square Off", which means her belly is so big it looks like a square from the front and sides, then she's probably just waiting for nightfall to drop the fry. All of my livebearers have given birth at night. I'm not sure of it's like that in the wild, but I've noticed that trend with mine.

If you feel safe about leaving her in the main tank, do it. You might stress her out too much if you try to isolate her. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding places for both her and the fry.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Livebearer fry are a bit larger than egg laying fry, but often are hard to see at first. Mine always find a stagnant section of the tank (behind a leaf, in a patch of grass) to hide in. They will be ready for solid food right away, so perhaps invest in a small jar of instant baby brine shrimp. It's cheaply found on Amazon.com and is small enough for their tiny mouths. Best part, that small jar will last a long time.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Weird. One of them is looking more normal shaped now, but I still haven't found fry.

Sent from my iPhone

The mother may only have had one or two, especially if this is a first-time pregnancy.

They will be very small and trying to stay hidden, so you may not find them right away.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Only two or three guppies pregnant now, but still no fry sightings...

Sent from my iPhone

Yay!!! Congratulations on the new arrivals!!!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Back
Top Bottom