guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriezuki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are wondering if anyone knows how old a male guppy would be before it's tail is fully developed. We have several young males with beautiful colors, but the tails are not wide and flowing. Does the tail continue to develop as it gets older, or is the tail mature as soon as the colors develop ? Our original males have wide, flowing tails and we are hoping the male fry will have the same. (Our fry are 3 months old now, gorgeous colors, but just normal sized tails.) Anybody know ? TIA.

So a few things may be happening.

Yes their tails will grow larger longer fuller depending upon which types they are.

One is genetics might not be great.

Two and a biggie, is not having excellent water quality. As in frequent and large pwc. Also male hormones (I have been told) can be condensed in the water without larger or frequent pwc causing stunting.

Three is having excellent quality foods for fry and developing young fish and excellent foods for conditioning for mating adults.

Thank you for the info. We had no idea that hormones would accumulate in the tank water. We do frequent--10 day--pwc. It took a long time for the tank to originally 'cycle', but now it's staying clear as crystal. Our mother guppies (4) are having babies like crazy. Today is the 6th time for fry, since Sept 15th. Had 30, 3 days ago, and now 49 (so far) today. I think all 4 give birth at the same time. Crazy. Wish I had the heart to 'let them go', and not try to save them all. I'm too 'soft' for this guppy hobby. We need a 'humane' outlet for them. LOL.
Thanks for responding .

Perhaps would be pheromones...

It is hard to make the decision on what to do with the fish when you have so many. Fish stores will sometimes take the really big and/ or good looking ones to sell, sometimes take them for feeders... In trade/credit for certain things.

Finding homes is difficult sometimes for a pair or trio of fish, let alone gobs of them.

People with ponds who need mosquito control. Kinda cold to frozen depending on your weather. But people will often have a tank inside til spring.

Any babies with curved spines or missing fins should be culled so they do not continue breeding in the future. (We are talking about fish, not people, and sorry don't want to sound uncaring about the fish, but when there are so many...) Also live breeders create so many fish babies because in the wilds they do get eaten up and it isn't like our tanks where we save almost all of them.

It is really hard. Buying a Gourami (or other preferred fish) or leaving the other adult Guppies in the tank for natural selection process can help you by not making you be the final decision maker.

Good luck on the difficult decisions.

I would save the beautiful ones, as they are the ones which get picked when you sell off a few. And try to get a few bucks for fish food and water conditioner.

Maybe you would like a little backyard "pond"??? They are fun fish for a little 75-125G patio pond.

You are right about the 'difficult' part. We JUST got over 50 more yesterday and today. But THAT'S IT....We aren't saving any more ! Hate to have to do that, but it's the only practical thing to do. We have a mat of floating greens and they will just have to fend for themselves from here on out. Thank you for responding. (I wonder how long THAT resolution will last ? LOL)

It is just too hard to save all of them. I remember picking up some Guppies from a guy and he had maybe a 75G tank and nearly every 2 inch square had a Guppy. Guppies of all colors & ages - it was FULL!

Back
Top Bottom