Guppy help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my guppy has been fine since we got him. We had two of them because my roommate really wanted some despite not having the room for a whole school. But one died, the other has been fine. Now he's just kind of laying on the substrate a lot and doesn't really like to move around. Should I be concerned? I checked all my levels and everything is normal. He literally lies on the floor. Idk what to do. Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could you give your tank size, the specific parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), any other symptoms? What's the tank temperature?

5gallom hexagonal tank. Ammonia: 0ppm. Nitrite: 0ppm. Nitrate: 0ppm. Ph: 6.8. Temp: 77.2*F. He'll go up the middle range of the tank for a bit, less than a minute, then just lay on the substrate, barely moving, until he repeats the process again. Clamped fins?

I can't tell from the picture; does he look skinny at all? Did you add anything to the tank recently?

I guess he looks pretty skinny but he has been eating. Just stress zyme and stress coat for a partial water change I did on Friday. The other fish seem fine.

I guess he looks pretty skinny but he has been eating. Just stress zyme and stress coat for a partial water change I did on Friday. The other fish seem fine.

Ok, one last question:
Where did you get him?

From a local fish store called Fish and Chirps in Denton, Tx.

Where do they get their guppies from?

My two best guesses are, either internal parasites, or just a genetically weak strain. Personally, my money is on the latter. My fiance and I got guppies and platies from a fish store that gets mediocre fish from mass breeding operations overseas. Those fish would die after a few months no matter what we did so we decided to get some from a different fish store that got theirs through a local breeder. We haven't lost a single one of those fish.

Oh.. I have no idea actually.. oh no... Well I guess I'll just have to see where they get there's from and keep an eye on the guppy for now. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the help.

Ya guppies are just not strong fish since they have been inbreed for the last 50-60 years
Store fish are cheap, and should be thought of as a one year disposable fish. A 5 gallon hex tank is no really big enough. Ten gallon tanks are cheap if you wanted to get more guppies.

I recommend rather smaller and undemanding "wild" Endlers instead of (over)inbred guppies... But if you want to keep guppies anyway, then must take care of water cleaness - good filterring, PWC & vacuum detritus reguraly. + I'd recommend to keep AMAP fresh plants in aquarium!

Back
Top Bottom