Guppy ill or pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my pregnant guppies has started hanging out at the top of the water behind the filter. I've had her for two and a half weeks and she was pregnant when I got her, so I don't know when she's due.
Ammonia and nitrite are both 0, nitrate 20, so they shouldn't be causing her to hang at the surface. She doesn't seem to be gasping at the top, just kind of nibbling at the surface. She comes out every now and then, so im not too worried, I would just like to know if I should be expecting any fry soon or if I should start looking at other causes.
Thanks guys!

Fish can die during the birthing process, just want you to be aware it is possible. I would look at other causes. Guppies I've had always started hiding lower down when they were about to pop.

What is your water temp and oxygenation like? If your tank is running hot then the water will have little oxygen, and if you don't have an airstone or a filter stirring the water up it could be lack of oxygen in the water. Do you have other fish, how are they?

Tim Wheatley said:
Fish can die during the birthing process, just want you to be aware it is possible. I would look at other causes. Guppies I've had always started hiding lower down when they were about to pop.

What is your water temp and oxygenation like? If your tank is running hot then the water will have little oxygen, and if you don't have an airstone or a filter stirring the water up it could be lack of oxygen in the water. Do you have other fish, how are they?

Temp is 25, I've got plenty of plants an I've got the bubbles running on the filter head. All the other fish are acting fine.

I did turn the strength of the flow on the filter down the other day because it was making my tetras swim at odd angles, maybe that's why? Maybe it's not pumping out as much bubbles and she's struggling?

I am aware that fish can die giving birth, but thank you for warning me :)

It could just be where she feels safe... That's what I'm going to guess at the moment. My upside down catfish is about to lose his safe spot as he currently hides underneath the hang on back filter and I'm changing those out for a canister... So it's not like I haven't seen fish feeling safe there before... They often associate shade with safety (where there is no light, they cannot be seen by things hunting them from the sky), so she is maybe protecting herself.

Back
Top Bottom