Guppy in labor for two weeks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennakm

Aquarium Advice Regular
I admittedly have very little experience with guppies. I purchased 2 pregnant guppies, researched what their labor might look like, and separated them to a tank where they could be alone when i saw them acting like they were in labor. They went into labor at the same time. Mama 1 had 7 fry (that i found) and mama 2 had 2 (that i found), both with some deformity (an orange venous ball attached to their belly, maybe their organs?) i just allowed her to eat them because i knew they wouldn’t last long :(

Well Mama 1 has been in labor since. (I think?) she is always hiding, sitting at the surface of the water, usually suspended but sometimes darts around. She “shivers” like she’s having contractions. Her belly never shrank, and her gravid spot stayed dark. Mama 2 has been fine, her belly slowly growing again.
She still eats and reacts to me waving my hand by the tank. I’ve left her alone besides water tests and water changes.

She has been understandably stressed because my tank had unknowingly not finished cycling. I check her water 1-2 times a day and change it as needed, and add Prime to detoxify.

Has she been in labor for TWO WEEKS?? Is she holding in her fry until she feels safe? Should i put Mama 2 in the tank with her? Do guppies get lonely?

Her 7 fry are doing well and growing fast.

I know the sperm develop at different rates and the timing of their birth can be a bit erratic.

Is it possible i missed a lot of the fry and this is a whole new litter? Did she stop in the middle of labor because of stress?

More importantly is there anything else i can do to make her feel comfy? (Yes the tank is cycled now, ammonia and nitrite 0ppm, nitrate about 10ppm)IMG_1963.jpg

They can stop and start again. But don't worry it should work out. They like to have plants around then to have cover /privacy. You can let stem plants float for her to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom