Guppy lying down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MagicAfra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My female guppy has been lying down on the ground (now at the bottom of my breeder net) for about the last 48 hours, ever since she gave birth to 4 (unless a couple were eaten; thats not what I think happened) babies. She is still large, and seems to be even larger than before the birthing if anything, which leads me to believe that perhaps she is not through birthing yet because she is... Sick? unable to eject the fry? Let me know what you think

Sounds to me that she may have eaten them all. It happened to me last month. My mama guppy was in her breeder with 20+ babies and was still fat when I went to sleep. The next morning I woke up and there were only 7 left and all her weight had shifted from the back to the middle. She was bloated for a few days after that.

She might have eaten some of them, however I have had this female in a breeder net with fry before and I have not lost any fry. The four fry are right now with her and I have not yet lost any of them. They were also in a ten gallon aquarium when birthed with the ground covered in medium sized rocks that would have been easy cover for the fry to hide under. Also none of the other fish in that aquarium are acting in such a way. She is still sitting in the same position with only her gills moving. Let me know what you think, or if you still think this might be from over eating of fry. I am not even sure she is the one who gave birth. Perhaps it was the other female who gave birth and this one just ate them as they were coming out. Again, let me know what you think.

Females can act pretty weird when pregnant and nearing birth. It worries me time and time again. How's her gravid spot look? Do u know when her due date is? I usually keep track of my females births so I usually know. Guppies are pretty regular birthers.

She died today. I will definitely start keeping better track of exactly which female gave birth to which fish at what time. I had been planning on tracking the guppies through their genealogy anyway and I guess I have been pretty lax in actually writing down which fish gave birth to what fry. It troubles me that she died in this way.

I am sorry for your loss I am waiting currently for my guppy to give birth for the first time and know how anxious making the process can be. Best of luck with the fry.

One of my females died a few days after having her babies too...not sure why either :-( it was our second batch of babies...and i had only found 5

Back
Top Bottom