Guppy Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I am needing to set up my lil 20ltr as a nursery for the mass amount of guppy fry i have coming through at the moment.

How do I go about this? Any tips etc would be great as I'm new to all this

Hi all, I am needing to set up my lil 20ltr as a nursery for the mass amount of guppy fry i have coming through at the moment.

How do I go about this? Any tips etc would be great as I'm new to all this
Some people use tanks with only sponge filters, nothing else. Some use a full tank set-up, substrate, fake/real plants. You could go with the sponge filter and some fake plants, bushy type plants. The fry can hide out in these. You just have to make sure the sponge filter/other filter is cycled. Also add some pantyhose over the siphon when doing your water changes.....

Is it absolutely vital to have a filter straight away?? I don't have one handy for them and won't be able to get on til next week :-/ my babies are getting eaten up!!

The sponge filters are really cheap. That's what I use in my fry tank. You'll want to change the water a lot. That's one of the tricks to the fry tank. Some directions say daily, but that's normally for really big batches of fry.

You'll never be able to save all the guppies. Eating the young is part of their life cycle. It's fun to have some babies though. I'm just saying accept that you can't save them all.

If you have an air pump available, you could use the air driven corner filter you posted in another thread (until your sponge filter arrives). Flow through the filter should not be too strong for the fry if you regulate the air flow.

I have a little mainland slim hob filter with a sponge over the intake. It has adjustable flow and the fry can nibble at the sponge. I really like it. Also I have a tiny piece of driftwood with java fern otherwise its a bare bottom tank.

Fry Tank

I would suggest getting a sponge filter, as everyone said, but until then try to get a lot of plants, especially if there isn't anything giving them oxygen. They also provide good hiding places for the fry, even though there is nothing in there that could eat them I found that they prefer a tank with things to hide behind. :hide: They also eat tiny microorganisms off of the leaves of some floating plants such as hornwort, so feeding is less of an issue.

This is the way it is currently set up - I am off to look at sponge filters today, and get some bbs :)

Attachments

• image-1659903439.jpg
    image-1659903439.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 101
That looks great :)

I'm gonna get some BBS myself for my fry. Thanks for reminding me :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0032G8TPW/ref=pd_aw_sbs_1?pi=SS115

Thats the filter I have in my kids guppy fry tank. Its a marina slim hob powerfilter but you can turn it down really slow and it comes with a great little sponge over the intake.

Edit *This also works well for bettas. I cut the media from the cartridges and put media bags over them because they only sell cartridges with carbon and ammonia absorbing things I prefer not to use.

That seems like a good filter and it is cheap. I might get one for my other fry tank that I am setting up now. Thanks for the link! It is one thing to find it on Amazon and another to have it referred by someone.

Does amazon ship to Australia??
I find Amazon shipping policy frustrating sometimes. I always try Ebay first. If you have an Amazon or Ebay site for your own country, try that first. Shipping costs from abroad can really add to the price.....

I find Amazon shipping policy frustrating sometimes. I always try Ebay first. If you have an Amazon or Ebay site for your own country, try that first. Shipping costs from abroad can really add to the price.....
Remember to, if importing electrical products from abroad, check to make sure the product will work in YOUR country. Different countries have different voltages.......

I never would even think of those things. I've got Amazon prime here in the US I pay $99 a year and get free shipping.

I never would even think of those things. I've got Amazon prime here in the US I pay $99 a year and get free shipping.

I have Amazon Prime too, so it definitely is cheaper.

Good point about the plugs. It would be a pain to buy something from abroad and pay shipping and wait for a long time just to see that it doesn't fit!! :nono:

You guys in the States don't have to worry about importing as you have a great choice of products. You can buy transformers to make foreign products work but you have to make sure to get the right one and a good brand, especially for something that will be running 24/7 like a filter....

Back
Top Bottom