Guppy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone,
I have a 36 gal, planted tank with: one gentle Angelfish, a couple of cories, a couple of rasboras, a couple of swordtails, some neons and GBRs. It's a well established tank with good water params and a peaceful environment. No aggression at all. The other day, I went to the LFS and bought 5 male guppies. That was Thursday, late afternoon. It's now Saturday evening and none of them will leave the top of the tank. They're eating well, swimming fine, but seemed to be still stressed and staying in one spot. I have never seen this behavior in new fish before. Does anyone have an idea of what's going on with them? They start to venture out a bit, then go back to "the huddle".
None of the other fish are bothering them at all.
Thanks for your help.
D

I know that you can not see other fish bothering them but it could still potentially be the angel. They are quite aggressive and fish tend to be mean the second the lights are out. I had an angel who was nice for 6 months before it ate 3 tank mates over night...

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Thanks for your reply. I guess it could be the Angel, but I would be surprised. I got him/her? when it was the size of a dime and now it's probably 6". It was raised in the community tank with many small fish, including endlers and I've had it for about 4 years and never had any disappearances of small fish. I've had fish die of course, but never seen a population slowly diminish. I had some Black skirted tetras that tore up the Angel, but never the other way around.

Guppies like to hang out at the top of the tank anyways. Just give them some time to get used to the tank.

Keep an eye on the gbrs though, they can get nippy

AngelFishGirl: I have 2 rasboras and I swear to you that they're about 4-5 years old! I have 4 juli coreys, all juveniles. I will take your advice and add to them, but the rasboras seem to be hard to find.

AngelFishGirl: I have 2 rasboras and I swear to you that they're about 4-5 years old! I have 4 juli coreys, all juveniles. I will take your advice and add to them, but the rasboras seem to be hard to find.

I see rasboras at petsmart occasionally

I'll have to check there Mebbit, because I found one of them dead this morning. Now the other one is alone and they were always together. It's sad to see animal companions lose their friends, no matter what the species is. They are/were old fish though, as I said and I'm not sure what their lifespan is, but they had a happy aquatic existence. Thanks!
D

Back
Top Bottom