guppy requirements???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
are there any issues with guppies involved with water movement?? i've gotten 3 guppies from a friend, and they just don't do well im my tank... i'm wondering if there is an issue with the water movement..? it's a 55gal, with a fluval 305 canister, med to high light, pressurized CO2, and i run a double air stone when the gas is off. they tend to hang out at the top (not gasping for air) but just hang out.. i have 6 otos, and 3 orange flame von rio tetras. i dont think they are getting nipped, but their colorful rear tails seem to degrade/tatter and almost melt... I'm beginning to wonder if i simply have too much movement in the tank and they tire out...?

any information is appreciated.. thanks.

Guppies are notorious for hanging out at the tops of tanks. I wouldn't worry about them that much. I'd say they are probably getting nipped at if their fins are torn.

I have guppies in a 20L with an AC50 and an AC30. The guppies actually seem to like it better when I cut the plants back and there's more water movement. They'll get blown around if they swim right up into the filter return, but otherwise they just swim. I actually think the extra exercise is making the fish bigger and healthier.

Guppy longevity depends an awful lot on how good the stock was to start with. Most of the big box stores sell poor stock and they don't last very long as a result. Even good stock from the LFS don't last very long because the fish are older when they're sold. I've gotten a year out of LFS guppies. Fish that breed prolifically generally don't last very long.

Back
Top Bottom