Guppy - submitted by d9hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
[center:4c6c185947]The Guppy
Poecilia reticulata[/center:4c6c185947]

written by d9hp

The Guppy, in its many different colors and varieties, is a great and hardy fish. Kept by many beginners, it is not a very hard species to keep alive. It will survive large parameter swings, and most temperatures, from the mid 60’s to the upper 70’s and low 80’s. It will also be comfortable in an environment with a pH of 5.5 to about 7.8.

This is one of the most easily breed species, most of the time doing it monthly. If given a mate, they will almost definitely breed. This fish is a livebearer, meaning its fry are live, there is no eggs. The normal number of offspring is anywhere from 2 to 10, and sometimes more or less.

The one big problem about this species willingness to breed is that it will inbreed, causing birth defects, and general problems with the fry. Many store-bought fancy guppies have been inbred by fish farms, just to make more money, you are much better off finding a reputable breeder if you are looking to breed them yourself. This should not discourage you to buy store bought guppies, they are still hardy, and full of life and color. In fact, most store-bought guppies are much more resilient to disease and general problems the usual aquarists faces.

If you decide to breed guppies, that is great, but it takes a lot of time and dedication to do so properly. Very small tanks are great for raising fry, but when encouraging mating in adults, a 30-gallon tank, or something in that range, should be used.

For more information on breeding guppies, check these links:

http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Breeding.html
http://allsands.com/Pets/Fish/guppiesbreeding_xdw_gn.htm

There are many different colors and types of guppies; the most common are

Black Phantom Delta Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Blonde Tux Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Blue Cobra Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Blue Delta Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Green Cobra Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Lemon Cobra Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Neon Blue Tux Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Red Cobra Delta Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Red Fire Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Yellow Tux Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)

Guppy Links
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1100
http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Breeding.html
http://allsands.com/Pets/Fish/guppiesbreeding_xdw_gn.htm

What about diseases, and the best treatments for them? I have a pretty, light yellow female ('Twinkie') that's been trying to die on me, and I'd really like to save her if I could. I'd hoped to keep her in the bigger tank with the others, since I'm treating them with meds, so she'd get the meds too, but it seems she can't handle it, so I've had to put her in her own bowl, which I'll be changing daily until I can get her strong enough for the tank again.

nice profile..... guppies can inbreed for many generations before they will start becoming disformed and stuff though.... just thought I'd put that up for grabs!! :D

Breeding guppies is a lot a fun, expecially when you get all the offspring to grow up with the same color pattern (mine are leopard spotted, ive got 8) I've never seen them anywhere else, and I believe the parents were a Black Phantom Delta Guppy (dad) and Yellow Tux Guppy (mom) but guppy genetics are very hard to keep track of.Guppies also like warmer water, while they can survive in the low 70s, they are much more active, playful, and happier in low the 80s, therefore breed more and produce more fry (30+ a litter)
I hope your guppy pulls through Kari!
:Fade-color

DirgeDevil said:
Breeding guppies is a lot a fun, expecially when you get all the offspring to grow up with the same color pattern (mine are leopard spotted, ive got 8) I've never seen them anywhere else, and I believe the parents were a Black Phantom Delta Guppy (dad) and Yellow Tux Guppy (mom) but guppy genetics are very hard to keep track of.Guppies also like warmer water, while they can survive in the low 70s, they are much more active, playful, and happier in low the 80s, therefore breed more and produce more fry (30+ a litter)
I hope your guppy pulls through Kari!
:Fade-color

Guppy genetics are not hard to keep track of... as long as you keep accurate records. Anywhere between 72-80f is fine for raising them. Lower temps will prolong lifespan, higher temps for fast growth in fry.
They can have anywhere between 2 and 200 fry. In the 70's when I was raising show guppies, my females regularly produced 120-160 fry in each drop. Best way is to have two closely related strains and linebreed. Cross between the two every 6th generation to nullify any inbreeding.

i didn't see any one mention that farm bred guppies (the ones usually available in LFS) have very fragile health.

Farm bred guppies are NOT that fragile. It is the shipping and handling afterwards that make fragility. Water supplies are not the same and a guppy has the same problem adjusting between the farm and the store just like when you purchase them.... store to home. Most die of "new water disease"; namely stress.

I keep mine in the mid eighties. I should add that they tolerate high salinities to a varying degree. I love feeder Guppies.

Back
Top Bottom