Hagen co2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how often do i need to change the mixture on these things? ive had mine in for about a month now and it still has bubbles. when should i change it out
thanks

If you still see bubbles, then it's working just fine. That seems like a long time to have it running, but maybe you just have a good recipe. Most people seem to change it every 3 weeks or so.

The Hagen System uses Champagne Yeast and as a result will last much longer than your standard mix, especially when using Baking Soda (the Stabilizer). It's definately not uncommon for it to last at least four weeks. I would advise using your CO2 levels as an indicator for when you should change the mixture. Towards the end you will still have bubbles, but they'll be much less frequently and as a result you'll have a lot less CO2 in the tank.

Fluctuating CO2 under 30ppm is one of the major causes of BBA. You might want to consider building a second bottle (the one that came with the kit is 1 Liter) and joinning it to the other using a T connector. This will allow you to use the same diffuser and then you can stagger when you change the mixture in your bottles so that one is alway going really good as the other is starting to fade. With the way your mix is performing you could probably stagger the changes every two to three weeks.

Before I made my own, I ran my Hagen for about 3 weeks, poured about an inch off the top, added new warm/hot water and let it go about anther week or so. I would say once a month.

I did something like Purrbox said, but I replaced the bottle completly with 2x 2 L soda bottles. I new replace one every every other 2 week. and I've not had a problem since.

I use a beer yeast from a local brewer. Works great and is cheaper then the refils for the hagen.

GOod luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom