Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryno367

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Goodday,my name is Ryno and ive started with a small 60 liter planted tank about a week ago.
Ive recently noticed i have very fine and small hair algae growing on the leaf's of my plant...any advice to stop it before it gets out of hand? Thanx

Lots of answers to this question. First things.. need to know every single detail of your tank. Minor or major. Go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amm okay so its a 60liter tank...150liter per hour internal filter with sponge only...25 watt Led strip light...i use seachem's flourish once a week dosage...i have nutrient gravel of Daro underneath my rough gravel ,Heater and a Diy Co2 system with about 1 bubble per second feeding to my tank...light and co2 goes off at night..thanx Man

Amm okay so its a 60liter tank...150liter per hour internal filter with sponge only...25 watt Led strip light...i use seachem's flourish once a week dosage...i have nutrient gravel of Daro underneath my rough gravel ,Heater and a Diy Co2 system with about 1 bubble per second feeding to my tank...light and co2 goes off at night..thanx Man1484407568974.jpg1484407577844.jpg

Need macro nutrients for one, how long is the light on? Any sunlight getting to the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amm okay so its a 60liter tank...150liter per hour internal filter with sponge only...25 watt Led strip light...i use seachem's flourish once a week dosage...i have nutrient gravel of Daro underneath my rough gravel ,Heater and a Diy Co2 system with about 1 bubble per second feeding to my tank...light and co2 goes off at night..thanx ManView attachment 293290View attachment 293291

Can you see that bacopa stem on the left? Look at the leaf spacing at the bottom of the stem compared with how to looks at the top where is is closer to light and co2. This could give you some indication of what lacking. Liquid co2 to compliment diy reactor will help. Nutrients need to be addressed too. Macros as Brookster stated. These are nitrogen, potassium and phosphate. Sometimes you don't to add them as some systems contain enough. Depending on lots of factors though this isn't always the case and we need to add more.

Since this is a new tank I would just remove the affected leaves. Give the plants some time to get adjusted and start growing and they might very well out compete the algae. Personally I would also spread out the stems in the back giving them a little more room to grow.

A week old tank, give it some time. It's not uncommon for young tanks to go through some algae issues. If it's getting worse, and fast, reduce lighting and ferts. I understand you're using some kind of nutrient rich substrate under gravel?? If so that may be a potential source of fertilizers....they tend to release a lot in the first week or so. Keep up on your water changes, at least once a week. Some plants can take a few weeks even to adjust to a new environment before they start photosynthesizing and taking up nutrients properly.

Thanx guys for the good feedback...ill check it out a d keep you updated?

Back
Top Bottom