Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in need of a good hair algae removal tool that won't kill off anything else. Anyone got any suggestions?

There is no magic hair algae removal tool.
1- regular schedule for pwc's
2- proper maintanence
3- clean up crew (red or blue leg hermits, snails) to keep things under control

Remove the source. That will stop it. WC's and poly filters will usually clear it up. How often do you feed etc. Something is adding excess nutrients to your water.

I got rid of mine with some phosphate media and manual removal with the cleanup crew helping round the clock also not had an outbreak since I started using the phosphate remover..Hope this helps..

They do make a product for hair algea removal and it wont hurt anything else. It`s called a toothbrush rubberbanded to a siphon hose. Just gentlly scrub rock and siphon loose algea and feed every other day. It works every time.

It would help if you knew your levels. Probably Nitrates and/or phosphates are high. Work to lower these levels to control hair algae.

I'm currently using a product manufactured by TLC. The product is called Marine S.A.T. Biological Clarifier for reef and saltwater aquariums. It's non toxic 100 percent live bacteria. Takes 2 to 4 weeks to treat the tank. Shop where I purchased said it may take a month or two to be completly gone. Use 1 ounce per 10 gallon once a week. Seems to be working. I'm going on the second week of treatment and can see a noticable difference. 32 onces was $28.00. treats 320 gallons.

SkinnyPete said:
It would help if you knew your levels. Probably Nitrates and/or phosphates are high. Work to lower these levels to control hair algae.

Nitrates not high now phosphates might be. I have been known to over feed once in a while.

I'm currently using a product manufactured by TLC. The product is called Marine S.A.T. Biological Clarifier for reef and saltwater aquariums. It's non toxic 100 percent live bacteria. Takes 2 to 4 weeks to treat the tank. Shop where I purchased said it may take a month or two to be completly gone. Use 1 ounce per 10 gallon once a week. Seems to be working. I'm going on the second week of treatment and can see a noticable difference. 32 onces was $28.00. treats 320 gallons.

this might be ok if I can find it around here.

Try AZ-NO3.

Worked like a charm for me twice ... not permanent (as in forever), but it works. I've used it twice since last Feb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom